Author Topic: More Questions - Feeling like a Newbie!  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Aiden and Marlo's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
More Questions - Feeling like a Newbie!
« on: October 23, 2005, 03:45:06 am »
When can I start pumping to save for when I go back to work?

She's torn up my left side, and doesn't seem to like feeding there anymore.  Of course this is the one that is the most full and has the strongest letdown.  Should I just right side feed and pump the left or what?

Is it normal for them to sound kinda congested and sneeze after BFing?  :?

(I don't have a copy of the 1st book and am going to order it along with the new book unless someone has one sitting around they don't want  :)  )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

stasztk

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 04:02:04 am »
Very normal for them to sneeze. You can save pumped milk in a deep freeze for three months I think (stacy you want to clarify?)

I had a hard time too Lori. I thought I knew how to be a mom of a newborn and it would be so much easier this time! HA! Because I thought I knew everything I did worse than the first time!  :oops:

I feel like I am chasing you about...Hmmm do you feel like you are being followed...? :shock:

Heather

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 04:08:00 am »
Lori, I have a copy of the first book that you can have if you want.  PM me.  :D

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 12:43:10 pm »
Maybe I missed one of your other posts, but why is your left side torn up? :shock: Have you seen a lactation consultant about the latch?  I know things were pretty painful for us for the first week or so, but once the latch was adjusted it got better fast. If it's really too painful to feed on the left side, then yes, I'd try pumping it - you want to make sure your milk supply is well established on both sides and also want to avoid getting too engorged.

Usually you can start pumping to save after nursing is well established.  Here, they recommend waiting until 6 weeks, but I'm not sure when you're going back to work...  Also, you really only need 1 bottle's worth, if you can pump at work, because you'll just be pumping at the times when you'd normally feed so it'll even out!

As for the sneezing, babies just sneeze a lot!  They're getting used to all the dust and stuff in the air.  I don't remember it being more common after breastfeeding particularly, but it happened frequently!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 15:39:08 pm »
Saw the LC at the hospital about the latch.  Unfortunately from what she said, Marlo's mouth is small - latch is okay, if I had smaller nipples  :oops:  :lol:  She's now tearing up the right side too.  I'd prolly have quit already but Aiden got a cold today and I want to make sure she's got my immunities  :(   Maybe after this is all over I'll get my nipples pierced.  It can't hurt much more!  :shock:  :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 17:23:42 pm »
Been there, done that, have the T-shirt (and the blood-stained bras :shock:).

Make sure your nipple is going along the ROOF of her mouth - that's how I managed to finally end the pain and cracking and bleeding. When you latch her on, put her lower lip around the edge of the aureole (adjust for nipple size thru trial & error), and set her up so your nipple is pointing at her nose. When she opens her mouth, pull on FAST, and pull her by her neck, not her head; the neck will act as a hinge to ensure that her head is pointing upward so she can breather AND so the nipple is being drawn along the roof of her mouth. Re-latch as often as necessary to get it right.

You may borrow my copy of the new book if you like, but fair warning: I haven't been able to put a lot of it into practice since this isn't the only child in the house and I have no family around to give me the kind of help I would have needed to truly start as I meant to go on. :( PM me your address again and I'll ship it out! :)

Congrats, BTW - the pix are so cuuuuuute!!!!!! :D :D :D

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 00:41:54 am »
I agree with Deb - if it still hurts the latch isn't right. Make sure her lips are flipped out and she is on as deep as she can go. If you can get a second opinion from another l/c, do so. And lanolin cream between feedings. I used to put small cold packs in my bra those first weeks, after feeding. Took the sting away.

With milk, it will change quite a bit over these first few weeks. When do you go back to work? If you have a ton of milk, I can see why you'd want to start pumping now. Just don't push yourself too much, maybe a couple extra ounces per day for now. You're still recovering from birth!  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 07:57:07 am »
ok - typing w/1 hand, babein other - so squze...

how do i get her lips to flip out?  if i got her in cross-cradle i don't have extra hand to move anything.  plus i think my posture is wrong as my lower backs been hurting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 08:09:22 am »
Ok, since I'm here I'll try and answer.  :)  Is cross-cradle where baby's lying across your lap?  If so, once you've got her latched on, you swap your arms so the arm on the same side as the breast you're feeding from cradles her head (prop a pillow under your elbow if needed), then you have the opposite hand free.  I still often need to flip D's lips out, I just insert a finger under the middle of her lip and give it a flip and it creates a better suction.  To flip out the bottom lip, I gently pull her chin down and the lip seems to come out by itself.

Hope that makes sense.

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 08:10:59 am »
Oh and regarding your posture.  Once you've got her all latched and comfy, lean back, make sure you've got a cushion in your lower back for good support.  You need to feel relaxed and not like you're propping yourself up unnaturally.  I found if I looked down at Danielle while she was feeding that was when I had a lot of back pain.

Offline deb

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 11:55:45 am »
Oh, one trick I learned which saved me having not enough hands: the "straitjacket." :lol: What I had to do with both J and N because they kept putting their hands in their mouths when trying to latch was to loop a blanket or diaper cloth around whichever hand was on top as they lay on their sides and then clamp the cloth to their backs with whichever of my hands was holding them. That meant I had a hand free to tickle her mouth and guide the latch.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 11:59:00 am »
Make sure that when you're latching her on, you bring HER to YOU, and you're not leaning into her to get her latched.  That might help with your back.  I found with cross cradle, I'd sit in a really comfy chair with good support, and pillows to get her at breast level. Tummy to tummy, then have her scooted down enough so you can aim her NOSE to your nipple. Support your right breast with your right hand. Use your left hand at the back of her neck just to support and when she opens really wide, use your whole FOREARM to tip her onto your nipple.  The nipple should end up aiming for her upper palate.  You don't move your upper body at all, just your forearm. That should make sure you're not leaning forward and help with the back.  Then I agree, once she's latched, you can ease the lips out if necessary.  But it might mean that she's not opening wide enough - it should really look like a yawn.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Diego's Mama

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 12:35:49 pm »
Another thing to consider:

Try the football hold.  It worked MUCH better with both of my children as newborns. 

I know it's hard in the beginning, but I'd breastfeed and pump as much as possible.  Among other things, it's sooooooooooo much cheaper!!

Offline deb

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 14:15:35 pm »
Oh, yeah, almost forgot: check the lower lip (well, both, I guess) to make sure it isn't tucked under her gum. You can pop it out while she's nursing. That was occasonally a problem for us w/both babies.

happy mommy

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 15:35:34 pm »
Lori, don't know how others will feel about this but I just wanted to throw some support out to you in case you decide to stop.  I had a miserable, horrible, painful, and bloody experience with bf with both my kids.  After my first one I even thought I was just not educated enough on how to be successful at it so I prepared much better for my second one.  It was just as miserable that time too and despite the preperation,  education, and help...it just wasn't enough!  I had to stop very early with both boys.  And it certainly wasn't from lack of desire either!  I desperatly wanted to bf both boys for a year.  But I was just so torn up and bloody and every feed was AWFUL that it just wasn't a reality.  And both times I literally made myself ill trying to decide how to continue on...like I said, I soooo wanted to be successful at it...even more so the second time!

Just wanted to let you know that there are people out here who TOTALLY believe in breastfeeding but can completly support those who aren't able to do it.

Hope you are able to continue!!  But more importantly, I hope you are able to be at peace with your decisions and enjoy your family!!!

~Holly~