Author Topic: help! 12 month old won't sleep  (Read 925 times)

Offline salvia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help! 12 month old won't sleep
« on: October 23, 2005, 11:59:04 am »
My 12 mth old dd is mostly spirited, with a bit of angel.  She is cheerful in the day and adaptable.  I had a lot of problems with getting her to slepp and eat properly.  At 8 mths I discovered BW and started to implement it.  It took a month to get her in a good routine, down to one wake up a night.  She was having one or two naps a day, always a morning one, of about an hour and often a half hr one about 4pm.  A friend invited us out one day in the morning and I thought, this could disrupt things but we'll give it a go.   :cry: wish I hadn't.

ever since then, she's refused her morning nap, so I gave up, thinking maybe she's ready for one nap, so now I give her an early lunch and down for a nap about 12pm.  Trouble is it's a nightmare to get her down w/out b/f, even though she's just eaten.  I think she's using me as a dummy.  Then she only sleeps for 40 min, sometimes an hour.  She freaks out if I try to settle her back down or starts playing & being wide awake, so I get her up.  Then she's awake until bedtime.

Since the change in routine she's started waking up more in the night again and wanting b/f. :shock: Last few nights have been even worse, she's had an upset tummy, then i had it, we're both better, but now everytime I put her in her cot she screams her head off.  Please any advice would be great.  I'm going crazy :twisted: Is it all because she's overtired, or not getting enough food?

Offline naunmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 20:32:05 pm »
If you have changed the routine ... it may take a bit of time to adjust.  Rocking worked for me.  For the wind down both during nap and bedtime, I would read to them in the rocking chair.  Rock and soothe ds until he was relaxed then put him in his crib.  Sometimes it took a couple of tries.  For me the "tell" was a big sigh or yawn.  I would rock him just a bit longer after then place him in the crib.  At first he cried for a bit right after ... but it would not be long.

For me, darkening his room during nap time also helped.