Author Topic: bottle nipple size need to be larger to accept bottle?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
bottle nipple size need to be larger to accept bottle?
« on: October 23, 2005, 18:05:26 pm »
I have read the posts under the "getting your bf baby to accept a bottle" post, but I was just curious if anyone had better luck getting their little one to take a bottle with a larger nipple?  I use avent, have been giving one bottle at least 4 times/week since she was 2 weeks, but it's still a struggle and at 8 weeks old she's only taking 2-2.5 oz from the bottle.  I bumped her up from the newborn to the size 2 nipple, but I know that I have a fast let down and my milk comes out quickly and there's lots of it-anyone think that if I tried to variflow or a larger nipple that would help?  I know your supposed to stick with smaller nipples, but it's really not working.  I know I could also try another bottle, but I would think that after this amount of time, she could have adjusted to the avent.........anyway-any advice???? She has to take a bottle when I go back to work in 4 weeks!  TIA
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 00:44:17 am »
My day care baby took Munchkin bottles, and I really liked the nipples because you can turn them to adjust the flow. I think they had 3 flow settings. Pretty handy.

At 8 weeks old, I'm not surprised she's only taking 2.5 oz, their tummies are still pretty tiny. I think that is on the mid to lower end of an acceptable amount for that age.  :?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 12:17:26 pm »
Thanks!  Actually, after I thought about it I probably should have asked first how much she should be taking from a bottle.  I know that bf babies don't take as much as bottle fed babies, but 2-2.5 oz seems like a very small amt-I looked at Kellymom.com and because she only takes 6 bottles a day the calculation method on there says that she should be taking around 4 oz./feed.  She probably weighs around 12 lbs. now, maybe 11, I'll find out in a few weeks for sure, but I just get nervous about how much she's taking and want to feel comfortable when I go back to work.  Thanks again, Stacey-this has just been a bit frustrating!
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 19:36:17 pm »
She'll take more from you, too. So that might just be what she wants from her bottle. At least you'll have some clue what to pump for her feeds.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies