Author Topic: Question about swimming  (Read 1763 times)

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Question about swimming
« on: October 23, 2005, 20:56:38 pm »
When is it safe to take a baby into a pool?  My fear is the chlorine will be too strong for his skin right now (3 months).

Any thoughts?
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Question about swimming
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 19:41:12 pm »
hmmm...not too sure.  But, the lessons our lo is enrolled in on the weekends is for babes from 4-16 months.  There is not a lesson for younger babes in our city.  However, there is a baby in the class who started at 3 1/2 months...the only problem he had was that he found the pool a bit cool even though it was a warmer pool.  Once the parents would bring him into the 'hot tub' (not a real hot tub but one meant for babies and the elderly) he would be fine.  I don't know anything about the impact of chlorine!!  Sorry!

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Question about swimming
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 19:58:23 pm »
I've always thought you could take your baby as young as you wanted. There was a time when we were told to wait till the jabs were over and done with but now they are done differently this is now not the case.
My DD had bad excema at that age and the chlorine didn't adffect it. I just made sure she had a good bath that eveing.
Kimberley

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
Question about swimming
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 20:15:09 pm »
I found the same as Kimberley, as long as we showered on the way out of the pool and put plenty of cream on, DS was fine.

I think part of DS's love of the water, showers and baths is due to his early swimming so go for it.

Hot tip - take a hot water bottle in your towel. 

Also take a towelling dressing gown for you and one for LO (even if its too big).  I still take mine now instead of a towel in case DS does a crawling out under the changing room door trick and I have to go rescue him!
Jenny

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Question about swimming
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 21:08:19 pm »
when ds was born we were told we had to wait for hin to have all his jabs before swimming, didn't know things were different now.ds loved baths but hated swimming as the water was too cold,because of his recurring tonsilitis we had to put swimming on hold.regret this now as he hates the pool and it makes it difficult on holidays abroad.luckily we have met someone fortunate to have a swimming pool indoors so we can now perservere with swimming.i would personally say the younger the better as we are struggling now.the bath robe is a really good idea.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Question about swimming
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 21:15:02 pm »
Natalie was in the outdoor pool here over the summer when she ws 7 weeks old. The indoor pool is cooler, maybe 84F, so I usually have her wearing footy pajamas in the water to keep some her body heat in, and we only stay in maybe 15 minutes tops, 20 if the water is extra-warm that day. You can also get wet suits for babies; in the States check out http://www.warmbellies.com. Josie has one and it was a big help when she was chilly in the pool.

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Question about swimming
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 08:36:50 am »
Ryans mum- the deal with the jabs is they used to be live vaccines, so part of it was for other peoples safety. Now they are not live yuo don't need to wait, although there are old school HV and doctors who will still advise you to wait cos they think babies are too young to swim I guess.
Kimberley

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Question about swimming
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 13:21:49 pm »
Thanks for all your thoughts.  I am definately going to take him swimming soon.  My old place of work is a hotel and I have free use of it, so I guess it's time to take advantage.

One other thing, do you think it's ok to just put on a disposable diaper if the water is warm enough, or do they have specific bottoms for swimming babies.  Money is a bit tight, so if there is a method that doesn't cost too much, I would prefer that.

Deb: Any type of pjs with the feet in them would work?

Johnosmom:  Sounds like the tip with the robe was one that was learned the hard way..  LOL  Thanks for the advice.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Question about swimming
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 14:13:49 pm »
Quote from: daisymelan
Deb: Any type of pjs with the feet in them would work?

I would think so - We usually stuck with a jersey knit so it didn't get too heavy or too cumbersome to take off when wet.

There are swim diapers. I think Huggies makes some that are available at Target or CVS if you have those handy, probably Wal-Mart too. The thing with the swim diapers is that they keep in any poopy stuff that may occur while you're in the water. Oh, and if you rip hard enough up the sides, they come off like a regular diaper. Our pool requires them PLUS rubber pants, unless you have the reusable kind of swim diaper that is basically the rubber pants already just lined with terry cloth. Regular diapers in pool water just soak up all the water anyway and get really bulky and I'd imagine uncomfortable to move around in.

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Question about swimming
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 19:39:51 pm »
i wouldn't recommend an ordinary diaper.we had ryan in his paddling pool in one and it just grew!!!!!it soakes up all the water and falls apart.VERY heavy
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .