Author Topic: Naps too Long?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Nina's Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 24, 2005, 11:38:14 am »
Hi there. Wondering if my DD's naps are too long. She is 12.5 weeks and on 4-hour schedule (I know she is young for it but she seems happier this way and eats a lot at each bottle). Her first nap of day is about 2.5 hours long and same with her second nap. Sometimes only 2.25 and sometimes I have to wake her or she would sleep longer.

Her catnap is 45 mins if we are lucky - usually shorter and she usually still seems tired and cranky but can't fall asleep longer.

I also posted her schedule in the EASY forum for some advice overall there.

Thanks everyone.
Mom to Nina, born 7-28-05
Angel/Textbook Baby With Reflux

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Naps too Long?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 14:00:05 pm »
in general, if she is sleeping okay at night & eating enough during the day i'd say that her naps sound fine to me!  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Nina's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 14:02:15 pm »
Thanks Jaime!

Any ideas for what I might do to help her take a longer or more restful cat nap so she doesn't get too crazed before dinner bottle?

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Naps too Long?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 14:09:04 pm »
matthew's mommy has said frequently to consider that catnap a "freebie"; do whatever it takes so they snooze.  it may be in their bed, swing, carseat, sling... just so they get the recharge they need to make it to bedtime.

this works cause it's the first nap to go anyhow, and oddly enough, seems to have no negative effect on any other daytime sleep training.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Nina's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 14:49:08 pm »
Thanks again Jaime. I do try that - swing, sling, etc but it still seems she can nap no more than 45 mins if we are lucky (often 20-30) at this one and is just so cranky and crazed then for dinner and bed... Will keep trying different things.

Diego's Mama

Naps too Long?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 23:10:46 pm »
You'll find this gets easier as they get older.  It's often that they're simply so overstimulated by the end of the day that they cry to shut out the world.  After the catnap, try placing her somewhere quiet, maybe her swing.  Not to sleep, but to be calm and just hang out a bit while you grab a bite to eat.  This won't last too much longer.  Around six months she'll be able to handle awake time better, so hang in there, it'll get better soon!

:)