Author Topic: Don't know which way to turn now  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Don't know which way to turn now
« on: October 24, 2005, 16:14:27 pm »
Hi All,
About 2 weeks ago I posted about my dd not eating anything except puree, well now I wish she would eat even that  :oops:
Things seem to be going out of control and I am not sure which direction to take. Dd will now have 1 weetabix for breakfast at 8 and lunch is between 12-12.30 and dinner at 6.00pm, no snacks in betweeen except on the day she has an early lunch she might have a small rice cake at 3.30pm. Anyway about a week ago after progressively worse eating she decided to give up puree, but she still wont do finger food or lumpy food, she did eat pasta with bolognese 2 and that's it. She will still eat yougurt with fruit puree but I really dont want to end up just giving her yougurt. I have tried to name a few, chicken pieces, turkey, ham, meat burgers, veg burgers, omlette, scrambled eggs, cheese, crackers, sheperds pie plus fruit and veg. She will eat bread sticks though. Today has been the worst yet, she refused lunch so I didnt give her anything, gave her half a bread stick at 3.30 and then tried dinner at 5.45pm. She refused so I had to give in as she hadn't eaten and she ate 11 big spoons of ready brek and about 100g of yogurt with fruit. I have also tried to let her self feed and have dh feed her but it doesnt help. I realise she will eat less now than before and that of course she is very busy so eating may not be a huge priority for her  :?  and that they go through phases. Is it ok to give in to her and just let her have yogurt and ready brek? Is it really just a phase? She used to eat all meat and veg pureed. Some friends are suggesting that if she doesn't eat then I should just let her go on until she is hungry enough to eat anything. This seems to be too harsh to me and I don't know if I could do it, she was already pretty cranky this afternoon after no lunch and she still didnt eat her normal dinner. And I really couldn't let her go to bed without eating plus I am sure it would affect her sleep, she sleeps 12 hours and has done for the last 7 months so I definetly dont want to ruin that. She doesnt drink anything during the day either a sip of milk in the morning and the same at night.
I also bought kiddi pharmaton for her the other day but haven't given it yet, its a multi vitamin which also apparently stimulates appetite. Do you think it's time to give it?
Ladies and Gents, sorry this is so long, but as I said I really dont know which way to turn, and don't know what to cook or not for tomorrow  :lol:
Fiona

Offline amheusser

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 20:28:11 pm »
How old is she?  This is probably a phase, so I wouldn't worry too much unless she's also cranky all the time.  Go ahead & give her the yogurt, but not 3x a day.  Maybe you can sneak in some other stuff mixed in with it?  I don't know anything about the vitamin, in fact have never heard of any appetite stimulant for this age, but a regular multivitamin is probably a good idea anyway just to supplement her nutrition.
Aubrey
-------------------------------

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 20:29:11 pm »
sorry i can't offer any advice but i thought i would reply to let you know you are not alone.i have posted a similar post to yours.my ds will eat but the same thing daily,he won't try new foods,some days he won't eat.he does have reflux so i think this has a big part to play in it.we also struggled for a while to get him off purees.he would eat lumpy foods for months then all of a sudden it was poison,we wen't back to purees and started over.i do let him snack just know he has eaten enough,don't know if this is a good thing!we won him round by making real sloppy potatoes and mushed rather than pureed veg but again we are at the point of refusal.i don't know if when we get his reflux meds sorted that he will go back to eating properly or maybe this is going to be an issue like you are having.he gags at anything it only has to touch his lips.it is very frustrating.i hope you find some answers and things get easier for you.sorry i have no advice.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 20:46:55 pm »
Well, I guess its a phase, atleast thats what I have been attributing loss of appetite for my lo. Well, she's always been a low eater, but lately, its almost nil. I try so many things, but all have failed. I still keep trying at her regular mealtimes, but never force her. When she starts playing with her food, starts taking it out of her mouth, meal is over. It does frustrate me, but what can I do. Can't force her to eat. So, I'd suggest go with the flow, and yes, multi-vitamins might be a good idea.

HTH

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 07:13:35 am »
Thanks so much for your replies, it certainly makes me feel a bit better. Ryans Mum dd has or rather had reflux too and we have weaned her meds down to just 3 ml a day though I honestly don't think this has anything to do with it. And we had and have so many issues with lumps though the paed says reflux should have nothing to do with it, funny though I have come across a lot of reflux babies who have issues with lumps. Anyway dd slept 12.5 hours last night and seems to have gone down for a nap just 2 hours after being up so I guess she is ok. I gave her the multi viatmin a while ago so we will see. I honestly don't expect it will stimulate her appetite but at the moment she is having no protein or veg so it certainly won't do any harm. Pasta with tuna today for the first time in a desperate attempt to try something different and hope at least the novelty effect will make her eat a litte bit :-) Sumita I do take the food away now when she starts to play or refuse , at least for the moment she happily eats ready brek at night time :-) To be honest if she was at least drinking milk I wouldn't be so worried but she wont even do that , little devil. Will let you know how it goes  :wink:
Fiona

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 20:14:13 pm »
Hello!

I have posted several times about our ds (16 months) and his "lack" of appetite. He also had a difficult time changing over from purees to table food.  Gagged on chunky stuff for a while.  He went through a phase where he refused almost everything but yogurt.  Pain in the you know what!!!!  :evil: He has gotten better lately and I have backed off a bit with offering food too much.  He had dropped off a little on the growth chart but is now back on track for the moment! :D We had a weight check today at the doctors and thank goodness the news was good.  Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. :D  I have also found that ds is more likely to eat when he does it himself.  He eats on his own for a while then I give him more via spoon/fork etc.
Julie

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 03:30:58 am »
Hi Fiona, did know you were here...you will laugh at my post in our nap thread then - sorry!

I just wanted to add, that i cut back (just a bit) on dd milk - from 24 to 18oz and it helped her app. 

I hope for you and dd that it is a phase, but from experience on other issues w/ my dd - that is probably is.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 19:18:52 pm »
Michelle I did laugh, and thought about replying but was not sure what to say at the moment  :roll:
Its not a milk problem as she doesnt drink anything except 2 sips from a cup morning and night wouldn't even say it amounts to 2 oz and she drinks nothing else. Tiny bit of progress today, half a home made meat ball and lunchtime and again at dinner.
Guess I will be making lots of meatballs  :wink:
Fiona

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 19:49:36 pm »
Don't know if you have tried yet, but i mix puree veg (squash, carrot or s.potato) w/ no sugar apple sauce as dd won't eat ffood veg yet. 

It is off and on w/ it though and likes it better as a snack and not w/ meals.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 20:10:05 pm »
Hmm puree is a no go at the moment, and the thing is up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago she ate all veg even brocoli pureed and asparagus and just about everything.  Will just have to ride it out I guess, will give it another week considering we had progress today, was thinking about your post for cannelloni a while back so might make some this week, if she doesnt eat them I sure will  :lol:
Fiona