Author Topic: Is 14mo old cheating day for night?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Is 14mo old cheating day for night?
« on: October 25, 2005, 02:15:59 am »
Hi

I was wondering what you all thought - DD has moved to 1 nap and after several weeks I think we have it firmly established.  Wakes at 8ish, nap @ 1pm (1.15hrs – urg, same time as am nap previously) and bed 7pm.

She is clearly tired and cranky on the short about of sleep and I have been using pd to help her extend this nap.  Things started to improve  the last few days - she is now at least able to stay in her crib for a full two hours - even if she doesn't sleep like to day.

I think I was cheating her on the wind down and putting her to bed too drowsy – you think I would practice what I post about falling asleep independently! 

My question, she is sleeping lots at night...13.5hr last night and about 12.5hr other nights.  Do you think she is robbing her day sleep for night?  And that if I wake her at 7am (vs. letting her wake naturally between 8-8.30) that it would help lengthen her nap?

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 02:41:57 am »
I think she is robbing from her day for night... but is that such a bad thing???
 All the info I have says about 13.5-14 hours is average for a 12mo, so she would be getting that.
I know Aiden stillhad 2 naps at that age (until 21mo) & but he only did about 11  hours at night.

When we did transition to 1 nap, I used to have a 1/2hour quiet time with Aiden in the AM & PM to help tied him over... althought that was mostly as I was preg & needed the rest. we used to lie on my bed & read stories or cuddle & My SIL used to do that to extend her dd's "down time" as she was a short napper, but if she slept longer would be up late at night...she dropped naps at 2yo!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Diego's Mama

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 22:05:53 pm »
Likely so.  Think of your daughter's sleep as totals for the day.  My son, Emilio, fifteen months sleeps a total of about thirteen hours a day, two hour nap normally and eleven at night.  Sometimes even a three hour nap, but that often leads to a wee bit of a later bedtime, hence reducing nighttime sleep some.

Some babies easily nap longer with reduced nighttime sleep.  Some seem to wake regardless... if yours ends up being the latter, try wake to sleep in the midst of her nap to extend it.  Have you done this technique before.  A gentle rubbing of her tum, etc. just enough to get her to roll over and come out of a deep sleep.  It will jumpstart the sleepcycle and often leads to longer sleeps.

With my boys I always just went sorta cold turkey with things rather than gradual and their temperaments allowed me to do so.  So, if she's relatively easy-going, I'd just wake her at 7:00 tomorrow and have a go at it.

:)

Let us know what happens, eh?

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 22:14:51 pm »
Thanks ladies

I'll try both, waking her at 7am or 7.30am and wake to sleep during the nap.

I'll let you know, thanks for the tips!  As always great to have someone to bounce these ideas off of, DH tries so but it isn't the same  :wink: