Author Topic: Breastfeeding and biting!  (Read 994 times)

Offline HJ's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 25, 2005, 04:12:35 am »
Hi..my 5 month old has 2 bottom teeth already and seems to be working on his top two. Today, he has been biting me while breastfeeding..for comfort..but ouch! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to curb this?
Thanks!!!!

Offline webfoot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
Breastfeeding and biting!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 05:17:50 am »
Well I took Tracy's advice with my second born (sprited touchy) and the stubborn little thing refused to ever latch on again. So BE gentle.

With this one #3 I have just said ouch! That hurts mommy and then taken him off and patted his back for a couple minutes before letting him back on. One time he really nailed me and I cried out in pain (pure shock, didn't mean too) and I scared the ens out of him. He started crying and at first woudn't latch on but after my experience with number two I knew to gently encourage him to latch back on, and he did. He has nibbled a couple times since but hasn't hit me hard again (yet). We're in the same boat, first two came really quickly and the top ones are working their way down now.

IMHO a wet washcloth (or better yet a washcloth one end dampened and partial frozen) is the best teether. Try letting him chew on something before he chews on you.

LOL!

Good luck!
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Breastfeeding and biting!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:04:08 pm »
Yup, I firmly say, no biting and unlatch her (may have to pull her towards me first if she's clamped on tight - it gets her to open her mouth).  If it goes on a lot, I'll give nursing a break and maybe give her some Tylenol if she really seems troubled.  FYI - she's mostly outgrown it now! :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha