Author Topic: My 5 month old has turned into a terrible sleeper help!!!  (Read 2306 times)

Offline rebecca-isabella mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 5 month old has turned into a terrible sleeper help!!!
« on: October 25, 2005, 07:47:32 am »
For the past few weeks my DD hasnt been sleeping well at all. At first i thought it may be teething pain because she would wake up screaming but now she just wakes up randomly not screaming just crying though.

I have tried so many things like dropping the dream feed and letting her wake up when she is hungry which at first worked. She would wake about 3.30am then sleep til 6.30am. But it has now reverted back to how it was. There is no patterns to this either, for example Saturday night when DP gets up with her she woke at 12.30am he fed her then she slept til 7am! (just my luck) But last night was so bad. She went to bed at 7pm woke up at 8.30pm then 9.30 then 10.30 so i fed her then and then she wouldnt settle all night after that so i brought her in bed with us  :oops:  i dont like doing this because i worry about rolling on her in the night so i dont sleep!!

This is her routine approx

wake 6.30am
eat 6.45 7oz bottle
nap 8.30-10.30
eat 10.45 7oz
nap 12.30-2.30
eat 2.45 7oz
nap at about 5pm anything from 30 mins to 1hrs (we struggle with this nap at times)
eat between 6.30 - 6.45
bath at 7pm
bed by 7.30 max.

She is a really good napper in the day and goes to bed with little to no fuss awake and puts herself to sleep. I really dont know what to do i go back to worknext week and i cant be getting up all night long like i am now!!

Im sorry it is so long but wanted to put as much info as poss. Please help me as this is really getting me down i dont know what else to do  :cry:
Rebeccaxx

Mummy to Isabella Grace 22.05.05
Very very spirited/textbook

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:11:36 pm »
Is she rolling well?  Has she started to scoot/crawl or anything like that?  I ask, because what you're describing is just like what we went through before Isom started his army crawl.  I think they practice in their sleep.  If I recall correctly, it took almost two weeks before he quit ramming his head on the side the crib in his sleep.  Just keep your cool and get in lots of naps.

Crystal

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 21:00:04 pm »
She can roll over with ease but she has absolutley no interest in doing so unless she wants to get something which she can only reach if she rolls over.

I was wondering whether or not it may be developemental waking as she has only started to roll over when the bad night wakes started, but as i said she doesnt roll over all that often.

I dont know what to do im so tired but i know tonight will be exactly the same as last night as she has already woke up twice since 7pm!!  :roll:  :cry:
Rebeccaxx

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 01:05:45 am »
I'd bet you dollars to donuts that it's developmental.  It happens at rolling, crawling, pulling up, and walking, not to mention teething, growth spurts, etc.  And then suddenly they're teenagers and you can't wake them up before noon. :roll:  :wink:   Ah well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat.  Isom should have been asleep twenty minutes ago, but he was crying (nothing new there) so I went to check on him and he was standing up looking at me like, "What's wrong with you?  Didn't you know I was standing and didn't want to go to sleep?" Right now he's whimpering/talking in his crib - check that - back to crying. Gosh, I hate teething.  More motrin. So here's my fingers crossed for both of us.

Crystal

Offline jessieanddave05

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 01:22:53 am »
Well, I have a suggestion that worked for me. My 8-month old wasn't sleeping through the night at all. A lady suggested that i give him more solid foods, and put him to bed @ 7 instead of 9. It worked. Good luck. :mrgreen:

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 08:09:35 am »
Hi crystal

Thanks for the advice it does make me feel better that there is a possible explaination for this and that i havent done a terrible job with sleep training!! last night was much better she woke twice as i said but then slept til 2am - i fed her and she slept til 6.30am WOOHOO!!!

I feel so much better that i have been able to have a good night sleep and Isabella seems so much happier this morning too. She couldnt stop laughing this morning (you know the real belly chuckling laugh!) at everything - its the first time she has done that! She melts my heart!!  :D

Thanks again for the response it made me feel better to know im not alone and i hope Isoms teeth arent giving him and you  :wink:  too much trouble!

Jessieanddave05
DD has been having a liitle amount of baby porridge for a week or so but to be honest shes not really interested so i may leave it until she is 6mths. She doesnt really have a big appitite you see and i dont want her to favour the solids over the milk, but thank you for the suggestion!!
Rebeccaxx

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 08:13:30 am »
this is me in reverse! my lo won't sleep during the day!  it sounds okay but is pretty exhausting too  :?
i am watching this thread keenly!

Offline Mom2you

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 13:56:27 pm »
My DD (5.5 mos) is doing this too!! She naps beautifully, goes right to sleep, sleeps for anywhere from 45 mins - 1.5 hrs. But at night, she wakes EVERY HOUR, all night !! She is driving me nuts - I haven't slept for more than 2 hrs at a time in over 4 days. She was teething, (I think), and now she has a cold.....but it isn't her first cold and the last time she had one she slept more because she was sick. -  :?:  She cries over everything, literally, all day. Not that surprising, considering she's exhausted! - but it's very hard for me as I am too.  :cry:  She wasn't this way a few weeks ago.....but it seems to be the new attitude?? I hope it doesn't stick. She istaking some solids, two meals a day or oatmeal and fruit or veggies. She loves it, and still takes plenty of formula. Our nap and bedtime schedule is very similar to yours, Isabella's mom. She can't stay awake any later, 8 pm is the latest she's ever gone to bed. *sigh*

best of luck.........I guess we'll share if anything new works for any of us?
Mom of Spirited Kenna (and Gage)

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 08:25:44 am »
Hi Mum2you

Im really sorry you are having the same problem as me! I think it may very well be what Isoms mum said - that they are developemental wakening as are LOs are roughly the same age.

Well for us last night wasnt a good night again, Bella went to bed at 7pm and was up at 11pm so i fed her and she went back to sleep til 1am then she was up then every hr or so and then she wanted to get up at 6am to start the day. Im exausted!!! She had Diarrhoea allday yest and again this morning so it amy very well be that!!  :(

You will have to let me know how you have been getting on and share if you have tried something that has worked for you

Take care  :)
Rebeccaxx

Offline shasha0220

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 02:39:39 am »
My 4month and a week old son is waking up almost every hour at night for 2 weeks. We have exact same routine at night and he naps just fine. At night, he doesn't even cry. He just wakes up and makes noises until I come and pat his back, rub his forhead or grab his hands. It usually doesn't take too long for him to fall back asleep but it's just too hard for me to wake up sometimes every 45min to an hour and a half. He is not teething or sick. I have no idea why he does that. He never slept through the nights but slept 3-4 hours stretch before since he was born. Any idea or suggestions? Thanks.
Allen 6.20.2005