Author Topic: Waking early for dreamfeed...  (Read 1187 times)

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 25, 2005, 12:55:45 pm »
The past week or 2 DS (he's 4mos) has been waking before we even have the chance to feed him!  So, it's turning into a MOTN feeding rather than a dreamfeed as he's sleeping.
I think it may be affecting his sleep too b/c he was sleeping through the night but is now waking at about 3:30-4:30am hungry.

His schedule is basically to eat at 7, 10, 1:15, 4:30, 7:15 and 11pm DF.

Should I move the DF earlier?  Do I need to start solids?  He shouldn't be waking hungry at 10pm if he was just fed at 7:15... Any suggestions? 

TIA!
Mary

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: Waking early for dreamfeed...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 23:51:26 pm »
Quote from: mstormin
His schedule is basically to eat at 7, 10, 1:15, 4:30, 7:15 and 11pm DF.

Should I move the DF earlier?  Do I need to start solids?  He shouldn't be waking hungry at 10pm if he was just fed at 7:15... Any suggestions? 

TIA!
Mary

this is not abnormal - Olivia went through a period (and i know lots of others who did too) at this age of waking at 9-10pm to eat before you had a chance to do the DF.  if at that waking he takes a good feed then i would skip the DF or TRY to do it at 11pm if you want to get a few extra calories in (but let it go if he does not want another top up).

yes, you shoudl be trying to get more calories in the daytime, but i don't personally believe the answer is to start solids at 4 mo (i know outside of Australia it is quite common to do so, but here the WHO recommendation of 6 mo is heavily pushed and i agree with trying to get as close to 6 mo AS POSSIBLE)   At 4 mo though you should start to transition to 4 hourly feeds and see if he takes bigger feeds more spaced apart. do this as gradually a necessary for your lo.

how is he feeding at his daytime feeds?

just know that what you think he "should" do is not always the reality.  there are usually explanations for why they wake hungrier than usual - shorter feeds that day, distracted / poor quality feeds or overtiredness leading to a poorer bedtime feed, rolling over in daytime uses extra calories so he may need more food, etc    Appetites really vary from day to day.

BTW - what is a MOTN feeding?  middle of the night?? never seen that abbreviation before  :lol:
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified