Author Topic: When to stop shh/pat?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
When to stop shh/pat?
« on: October 25, 2005, 18:46:20 pm »
Ok, so we've been working on shh/pat for nearly 3 weeks for naps (and bed and overnight).  We have seen improvement.  What used to take 40 mins to 1 hr, now takes 20 mins and over night is much less... and we extended the 1:30am feeding to almost 3.  But when does this stop?  I read the sleep interview and it says 3 or 4 days... why am I still in the same place 3 weeks later?  And why am I going back in after 20-40 mins of stopping shh/pat (which I did for the full 20 mins) to shh/pat again for 20 min (almost like a 45 min nap).
I am having a very frustrating day!

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Diego's Mama

When to stop shh/pat?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 22:10:37 pm »
Your daugher is five weeks old?

How many feeds a day?

It takes quite a bit longer with a newborn... well worth it.  Have you read Tracy's newest book?

Offline RachelC

When to stop shh/pat?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 23:52:55 pm »
6 weeks old and she takes 9 feeds a day.  Yes, I have read the latest book.

Diego's Mama

When to stop shh/pat?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 00:46:16 am »
Okie dokie.  You need to think of this for the long haul. That's hard with a newborn, especially if it's your first. 

I whispered to my youngest from day one.  It took tons of pat/shhh, over and over and over.  It seemed like it was all I did -- all day long.  BUT, around nine or ten weeks it all clicked. He's been an amazing sleeper. We never had nap problems.  It takes longer when you start with a newborn because they're becoming acclimated to this new world, they are learning so much at one time, there is so much stimulation all around them, etc.  So, best advice -- stick with it!!  Babies will often transfer learning to sleep independently for naps to nighttime sleep and you'll be on the road to a good nighttime sleeper too.  It's sooooo worth it, just a huge investment in the beginning. 

Keep on keepin' on -- you'll get there.  And it WILL get easier, even though it probably seems like it never will from your vantage point right now.

Offline RachelC

When to stop shh/pat?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 18:09:20 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement, but sad to know that this may take so much more time.  I feel like I've been doing it forever already.  The worst part of it all is I feel like I am ignoring my 3 year old (I came downstairs today after 20 mins and she was curled up on the couch in a ball... her Motrin had just worn off.  All she said was "can you hold me?" talk about guilt!).  My husband is going to take Friday and Monday off in hopes of having a 4 day straight shh/pat fest where we can be consistant about it all (with one of us tending to our older one).

Diego's Mama

When to stop shh/pat?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 23:05:50 pm »
I know, I did it with a two and a half year old.  Interestingly, the initial investment is big, but the payoffs are equally as big.  It took me lots of time to teach Emilio how to sleep as a newborn, and it was hard for Diego, BUT once he learned, Diego and I had soooooooooooo much more time together as I could just pop Emilio in his crib.  We had peaceful times during Emilio's sleep and could have lots of quality time together.  Diego's reaped many benefits among which he shares a room with his brother and they both sleep well and are both well rested.

Keep it up! In the EASY forum there are some older threads where a bunch of mums posted along their journey of sleep training a newborn.  You may want to check it out.

:)

Offline RachelC

When to stop shh/pat?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 01:01:18 am »
Thanks Laura
Here's another question.  How do we know when to stop the whole process?  What is the "magic" sign that says "just put me in the crib and leave me alone".

Diego's Mama

When to stop shh/pat?
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 01:14:41 am »
You'll put baby down and they'll just sorta hang out and look around, then you'll go back and check on them and voila, they'll be asleep!

Or something like that.  Don't be afraid to leave the room if baby's happy. 

Are you swaddling?

Offline RachelC

When to stop shh/pat?
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 01:17:04 am »
We've tried leaving... it lasts for 10 minutes. 
Yes, we are definately swaddling... I don't know how babies would ever fall asleep otherwise. :D

Diego's Mama

When to stop shh/pat?
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 01:20:15 am »
So, put baby down, leave ... give her the chance to work it out on her own.  When she cries, go in and start your patting.  One of those days she'll just be asleep.

This also gives you a quick break to tend to your other child and get him set up with a craft or something to keep him occupied whilst you work on getting baby to sleep.

:)