Author Topic: 18-month-old and short naps!  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Lawrence'sMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
18-month-old and short naps!
« on: October 25, 2005, 01:19:34 am »
Hi everyone!

I'm really desperate and hoping to get some help. My 18-month old is only napping for about an hour and it has been MISERABLE. He used to be so happy and chipper all teh time and now he's SO cranky. I just don't know what to do. I've tried leaving him in his crib for another full hour hoping hell go back to sleep but he doesn't. He just whines and cries. He's also so tired in the  afternoon that he's whining to go to bed by 5 p.m.!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Offline abwalk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 02:13:21 am »
What time is his nap time?

Offline Jess-J&E

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 11:31:22 am »
I was going to ask the same question!  We are having similar issues with  our 15 month old.  He was taking a  2 -3 nap everyday but the last 2 weeks it has gone to 1 -1.5 hours and he is really a cranky  pants when he wakes up.
  I have found that the days he naps longer are the days I don't push him too long before his nap.  About 5 hours after his wake time seems to work best.  Maybe you lo is going too long before the nap and is overtired?? Or on the flip side it could be too early and  not tired enough??  Finding that balance is the hardest thing to do!!!
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Lawrence'sMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 15:18:02 pm »
I've tried everything from putting him down at 11:30 a.m. to closer to 1 p.m. Nothing works! It's crazy. It's been going on for well over a month and now is starting to affect nighttime sleep as well. Yikes.

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 16:09:30 pm »
I hope you get some good advice because I'm in the same situation with my 18 month old.  She's driving me nuts and now she's starting to just not want to fall asleep either.  I'm seriously at wits end once again!

Lan

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 01:30:43 am »
I think around 18 months toddlers need a little less sleep. It's just not as obvious at this age as when they were younger, because instead of dropping a nap you have to tweak the nap/night time sleep schedule. My son is 20 months and now needs about 30-60 minutes less sleep than he did at 15 months.
 2 ways to do it are

-shorten the nap by keeping your son up a bit longer. Watch him for tired signs rather than by the clock. It's tricky to catch them when they're tired but not overtired! Try to get him up by 3.30-4 pm. Keep the same bedtime.

-keep the same naptimes but put him to bed 30 minutes later.

It sounds like things have gone off track though, so maybe the first option of keeping the same bedtime and a later nap time might work. It might take a few days though. good luck!

I think the amount of sleep needed shortens again at around 2, so I suppose I'll be having to do this again soon!