Author Topic: how much to feed  (Read 1040 times)

Offline beamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
  • San Jose, California, USA
how much to feed
« on: October 26, 2005, 03:31:54 am »
hi everyone!
Monica is a little over two months old (born Aug. 19) and she is doing great, eating well, and will take a bottle. Yea!
she is on a pretty decent routine.
I am pretty much doing EASY and have a few questions:

1) Should she still be sleeping every feeding cycle?
I cluster feed in the evening and keep her awake between the last two feeds. I forget when they go to 3 naps?

2) How many feeds? Right now it's about 6 times a day.

3) how much ebm or formula should she take when she bottle feeds?
I've given her about 3-4 oz and she usually finishes it, but I usually give her a bottle in the evening so I think she would take more during the day.
DH and I are getting away for one night in mid Nov and I'm trying to plan for that. So if she is strictly bottle for 24 hrs how much should she get?

TIA!
Bea
la mamá de Joseph, María y Monica

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Re: how much to feed
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 22:59:54 pm »
I'll try to answer as best I can - but I lent my BW book out, so I'm not sure how accurate to it I'll be... :oops:

Quote (selected)
1) Should she still be sleeping every feeding cycle?
I cluster feed in the evening and keep her awake between the last two feeds. I forget when they go to 3 naps?
Yes, she should still be sleeping every feeding cycle, except perhaps after cluster feeds (but not sure about that).  They tend to go to 3 naps once they're on a 4 hr cycle, which is closer to 4 months or so.  Then the cluster feeds also tend to be more in the late afternoon (around the catnap) rather than into the evening too much, as you're aiming for an early bedtime, remember.

Quote (selected)
2) How many feeds? Right now it's about 6 times a day.
6 feeds is great - I wouldn't go any less than that though.

Quote (selected)
3) how much ebm or formula should she take when she bottle feeds?
... So if she is strictly bottle for 24 hrs how much should she get?

Exclusively breastfed babies tend to take in an average of 25 oz per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months (range is 19-30 oz per day). Depending on how many feeds she has, you can estimate how much per feed, but it's usually around 3-4 oz at that age (what you're doing).

HTH!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha