Author Topic: Deparate  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Deparate
« on: October 26, 2005, 04:45:29 am »
:cry:

Hi there! I am a new mom, and I am new to this site. My son is almost 7 weeks old, and I am having a hard time getting him down for naps. I have just read Tracy's book, and I am trying my hardest to follow her advice. The Shh pat method is physically and emotionally exhausting and seems to be occupying our whole day. Sometimes I catch myself falling asleep through it. How long should the method take (about anyway)? Here is the process I have been going through:

I have been trying to put him down for a nap as soon as I see a yawn or at least the 7 mile stare. I swaddle him, which he doesnt really like. When I put him down he is smiling and even laughing. I then pat him until he falls asleep which is anywhere from 20 - 35 mins. Then I continue to pat for about 10 mins to greet the "jolt". Then wait another 10 for the next "jolt". Only then do I need to wait to greet the 45 min. wake up call. Then the whole process starts all over again.

Is there an end to this maddness? I am exhausted!

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Deparate
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 04:58:49 am »
I promise you it does get easier as your baby gets older.  I do understand the exhaustion of it, though.  I truly like the BW method, but there are times you may need to take a break.  If I started getting down about it (which there were several occasions!), I would revert back to a stroller ride, car ride, or even the swing or bouncer.  For my DS, it never caused a problem.  Now that he is 12 weeks, the only place he wants to sleep is his crib!  Babies are just learning night-sleep at 6-8 weeks,  day-sleep follows at 12 weeks+.  Hang in there, and don't frustrated yourself out of using the method! 
Good luck!
Melissa
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Deparate
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 05:03:44 am »
Thank you so much for your response. I have been agonizing over this for the last 2 days to the point of tears. I was a little leary of joing this group, but is amazing how much better I feel knowing someone has been through this.
Thanks

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Deparate
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 21:26:49 pm »
You might want to look at her room environment, some babies need a dark room or anything will catch their attention and they will focus on it.
Shielding her eyes with your hand also helps with this.

I would pat and shush her on your shoulder first, to get her drowsy, and then lie her down, keeping with patting and shushing. In Tracy's sleep interview, she talks about this. The sleep interview is attached to this board, as an announcement.

Definately keep her awake times short, especially for a newborn. If her feed time is close to her sleep time, that's okay, just make sure that she isn't lying completley flat on her back-- Tracy has always recommended raising the crib mattress slightly at the end where her head would lie. This aids digestion.  It could also be that waiting till the first yawn is too late, try 15min early, newborns get overtired (which makes the short naps worse) in the blink of an eye.

You have found a wonderful place for support, WELCOME!