Author Topic: Pat/Shush Question  (Read 1370 times)

Offline scarletts mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Pat/Shush Question
« on: October 26, 2005, 09:08:55 am »
Hi

I have been using pat/shush to extend the  nightmare 45 minute naps that my 4.5 month old dd is having.

I am only on day two of doing properly (before I was rather half hearted in my attempts!!) and I am seeing some real results.. the first time I used it it took  nearly an hour.. today it took just ten mins of pat/shush and then I stayted in her room for 20 mins just to be on the safe side.

Scarlett isnt swaddled and is currently learning self-soothing as she doesnt have a dummy either. 

My question is, with pat shush will she eventually work out on her own to go back to sleep or will I always have to be going in at the 40 min mark?

Thanks
Lizzie :roll:

Offline ambersmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
Pat/Shush Question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 14:56:34 pm »
i had a similar situation a while back. I was consistent with sh/pat for a couple a weeks and dd now naps great, upto 2 1/2 hours. It did work and I stopped going in at 45 min mark.

however I did get frustrated doing sh/pat for long periods of time and decided 45 mins was long enough, if it hadn't worked by then I would quit trying. Keep it up and I think you'll see results.

Offline aperret

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Pat/Shush Question
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 15:44:59 pm »
I had the same problem with my little one.  Bedtime and naps were very hard.  I would be over him shushing and patting him forever (sometimes 45 min).  This went on for a few months.  Now Ryan is 12 months old and he loves to go down for a nap.  I can read the signs he is ready for a nap, dim the lights, play his favorite cd, give him his blanket, and walk out.  He goes to sleep on his own!  He will usually sleep from 1 1/2 to 2 hrs (he still takes two naps).  He also sleeps through the night.  I am not going to say it was easy to get here, but it was so worth all the hard work!  When you are about to pull your hair out, or your back is about to give out from leaning over the bed - just remember it will be worth it down the road!  Good luck!

Offline scarletts mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
Pat/Shush Question
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 19:12:18 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement..... I too have to give up after 45 mins of it if it hasnt worked... neither my patience or my back after bending over her cot for so long could stand it!!

I will stick at it as there is definite improvement.. once we have got that sorted I am sure there will be something else to worry about!

Thx
Lizzie

Offline ambersmum

Pat/Shush Question
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 09:23:15 am »
Lizzie,
         too right, that once this is sorted there'll be something else! DD started to refuse milk once the sleeping was sorted!

I saw you wrote that leaning over cot hurt your back. I have a bit of a bad back and can't lean over the cot like that. I sit on floor by the cot, put my hand through the bars and do it that way. Also, that way dd can't see my face too clearly and is less distracted.

Glad you are beginning to see results. Keep us posted, if you have time.

Offline scarletts mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
Pat/Shush Question
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 21:25:09 pm »
Hi there

Thanks for the tip... will try sitting on the floor too, she does tend to think that it is playtime for a few minutes when I go in there and starts with the smiles!!!

We had some really good progress this last week, but had the mother-in-law visiting for a few days so everything gone to pot...!!! Back to it tomorrow...

Wont last forever I am sure!!!

One thing I am confused about is just how long to keep her up for?  She is roughly up for 2 hours... do I wait for her yawns then start wind down?

Thx
Lizzie

Offline ambersmum

Pat/Shush Question
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 08:28:50 am »
Good luck in getting back on track after visitors!

2 hours sounds about right as awake time, just be alert to her cues, if she is yawning or rubbing her eyes then wind down time and bed. I used to say to dd '2 yawns and you're going down to sleep'. More as a reminder to me than to her as I used to enjoy playing and miss her cues :oops: So when I read Tracey's book it made alot of sense to me. It isn't always the same amount of time for my baby, one day she'll need to nap earlier than another day.

BTW I love the picture of your baby, so cute!

Offline scarletts mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
Pat/Shush Question
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 17:25:51 pm »
Hi there

Thanks for the advice...  We are getting there... although just when I started to relax we have now had fussy feeding!!!! Oh the joys of the motherhood....!!

She is rather a cutie isnt she!! :D Cant believe she was only a week old there in that piccie.. and only just over 6lbs... weighed her last week and she is now a wopping 12lb 7oz...  !

Take care
Lizzie x

Offline emme's_mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
More questions on the shush/pat
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 21:06:28 pm »
Hi everyone  :lol:
It has been so great reading all the messages and getting ideas after reading Tracy's book.
However I feel a bit of information overload and was just wondering if someone could clarify for me.
My DD is 3 months, 2 weeks old roughly. We were kind of doing an EASY type routine before but it was anywhere from 2 hourly to 3 hourly.
So now we are on a 3 hourly routine and have been following the BW advice for the last week but here are my questions.

1. DD has always been a 40min napper (and now I know why) so am extending these with shush/pat. When she does wake up at the 40 min mark I usually go in and shush/pat her back to sleep and like most it can take what seems like forever (killer on the back!). My question is...when she wakes up she doesn't cry out she just lies there sometimes making cute sounds. Should I be going in straight away or should I be waiting till she crys out? I am finding that she is having some resistance to shush/pat and may just lie in the cradle till the 1 1/2 hour mark while I make shush sounds and pat her. I have been reading the postings about the wake to sleep process. Should I give that a go? I also think that I might have to extend her wind down bit as it is only about 5 min at the most. Would that be making a difference?

2. As she is nearing the 4 month mark should I start moving towards a four hourly routine? I have been watching her tired signs and it only seems about 45min - 1 hour after feeding (which takes at the most 15-20 min) that she is getting tired so should I just wait a little longer until the 3 hourly routine is more established?

Thanks for your help sorry it is soooo long.

Pip (way over here in little old NZ)

Offline ambersmum

Pat/Shush Question
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 09:13:43 am »
Hi Pip,
         not sure about your query number 1 but I'm sure lots of other people will have good advice. For number 2, sounds like you might want to stick to 3 hour routine for your dd at the moment. We stuck to a 3 hour routine for ages, and then went to a 3 1/2 hour one. If my dd seems tired after only a short Activity time, I just put her down regardless of the time. HTH
love juliet