Author Topic: Hard time passing his poohs!  (Read 1404 times)

Offline SethsMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hard time passing his poohs!
« on: October 26, 2005, 12:40:04 pm »
Seth is 16 months old.  He has got progressively worse at passing his poohs. They have got slowly firmer and now when he grunts he ends up crying.  Now for the past week the grunting and then crying is waking him at night!  I'm thinking this is not good. 

He eats well, alot of fruit and veggies, I'm focused on getting as much fluid down him too.  I've tryed adding more whole grains/cereals thinking that might give him some relief but I found it made the whole situation worse!  Isn't that a bit odd??  I've tryed adding olive oil to his meals - he likes it but still no change at the other end!!

I'm at a loss for what to do - any suggestions very welcome.

His intake at the moment:

Wakes - about 4-6 oz milk - then about 3-4oz of water/juice mix before breakfast

Breakfast - fruit(mango, peach or plum) then some jarred fruit too! Then a handful of cherrios

Snack - more fruit usually finishing the jar from breakfast and some cherrios - drink too

Nap then drink

Lunch - less than 1 tbsp of meat, at least 4-5 tbsp of veggies, mostly green beans(he loves them!) with another veg too.  Water/juice mix too. More fruit for dessert.

Snack - sometimes, not interested really but is drinking through the day

Nap - not really anymore

Tea - 5:30pm - same as lunch then a 4oz yogurt

Bed - about 4oz milk

Offline izzysmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:28:21 pm »
Hi Seths Mum,

If its any consolation, we have just gone through a rather horrid few days of constipation in our daugther.  We have just come back from holiday in Florida and I think it totally upset her tummy, with the flights, time difference etc etc.

Anyway, she was in agony for 3-4 days with no poos, and was crying and saying 'i don't like it' every time she got the sensation she wanted to go but could'nt.  So i checked out the baby whisperer site for any past advice etc and found these few tricks, which did work I might add and rather quickly within about 1-2 hours.

Here they are:

Any fruit beginning with 'p' e.g. plums, pears, peaches, even peas (I know they are a veg!!), broccoli.
Avoid milk in any form, e.g. yoghurts, cheese, and especially milk to drink as this only makes the situation alot worse, which I did not know until i found out....too late...probably, as Izzy absolutely loves her milk bigtime, so we cut that out and only gave her water or apple juice, which is also supposed to be good.
Plenty of fibre as you already know, e.g. brown rice, bread, wholegrain cereals.   But to get things moving stick to the above fruits.
Prune juice if he can stomach it....yukk...we did try it with Izzy, she managed about 1/2 cup, but when she was that upset I was willing to try anything.

Then....we have the more 'drastic' measure.  I found this advice on this website from many people, a nurse included.  Take a cotton wool but or 'q'tip I think you call them, with a little vaseline on othe end of it and gently insert into their bottom only an inch or so, its not very nice, but this worked.

We also got some Lactulose syrup, which most definitely worked on Izzy, within minutes, its basically sugary water, and can be got over the counter at the chemist/pharmacist.

I hope this helps, I know you don't exactly say that your little one is constipated, but if he is heading that way, I hope these tips might help you both.

Best wishes, Sarah x

Offline SethsMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 16:04:59 pm »
Sarah,

Hi from Virginia!  I am English, now living here in the States - so it was great to hear from a fellow Brit!

Yes, I feel some 'drastic' measures are needed soon - it's really odd - all the obvious stuff isn't working for him - with the fruit he is eating he should be having the runs!!!   I tryed no milk for a day and he was so hungry - but will try it again.  I've managed to get an appointment with his doctor for Monday - I hope it isn't a bigger problem!  Kids eah!!

Thanks again for your reply,

Sophie.

Offline Tutkusmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 21:59:11 pm »
Try to add more protein in his diet i think this might help.Beef,chicken,fish,turkey.or eggs,soya products,cheese,lentils etc.etc.

Lentil soup is yummy here is an easy but delicious recipe

Fry up one onion with some olive oil and then add 1 sliced carrot and 1 chopped medium potato with a handfull of rice (either white or brown).Then add the lentils(i would say half a glass of lentils or a little bit more)and water with a chicken stock.Bring it to the boil and cook it until all the ingredients are soft.Add more water if reguired while cooking.Put it in the blender and the soup is ready.
If you like chilly you can sprinkle some red pepper on the soup which makes the soup taste nicer and you can add some lemon juice.Sounds weird??:)))That's how we eat it i am Turkish and sorry for the grammar mistakes if i made any as this is not my mother language.

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 23:00:47 pm »
Oh, we've had our share of those "hard poopies".  We've finally found the answer.  Try Stage #1 prunes.....just add a small spoonful or two at each meal....we give our DS prunes every day and he's perfectly regular and happy now!