Author Topic: Screaming nightwakings in 8 month old  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« on: October 26, 2005, 13:34:38 pm »
I'm posting this in hopes that someone will have a suggestion for me!

Ds is 8 months old, and has been sleeping through the night for months now.  He goes down for bed around 7:15 or 7:30 pm, and was waking for the day around 7 am.  No waking during the night. 

About 6 weeks ago or so, he would wake in the middle of the night screaming his head off.  When I would go in, it was like he wanted to go back to sleep, he was still lying down and everything, but was just screaming, screaming, screaming.  This lasted 3 nights, and then everything went back to normal.  Then we saw 2 bottom teeth.  So, I figured it was teething.

Then Sunday night, this started happening all over again.  Except this time, he is waking multiple times in the night.  I have a few ideas of what the problem is, but am not sure whatsoever.

1)  Seemed gassy Sunday night and Monday night.  So, last night, I gave him some extra gas drops to see if that was the problem.  Still woke up screaming in the middle of the night.

2)  Teething.  I have seen a tip of a top front tooth come and go.  So, I've been giving Motrin at bedtime before he goes to sleep. 

3)  Pacifier.  He has always gone down with his pacifier, and if it falls out while he's sleeping, he's none the wiser.  He can find the pacifier on his own, and put it back in.  Has been standing lately, and lets it go out of his mouth, and then it falls to the floor.  So not sure if he's screaming for the paci.

4)  Growth spurt?  Ds gets four 7 oz. bottles a day, and eats solids 3 meals a day.  He usually does not eat all of his bottles.  He usually takes anywhere from 20 to 25 ozs. during the day, and at least 12 oz. of solids a day.  Don't think this is a problem, but I've heard some can have a growth spurt around 9 mos., some a bit earlier.

Ok, is that enough for you?   :roll:  :wink:   I'm open to any suggestions, as I am getting very tired getting up every night multiple times!  Plus dh travels for work during the week, so I get to do this by myself!

Any suggestions?  Anything pop out at you?

TIA!

Offline chickadeebesty

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Screaming nightwakings in 8 month old
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 15:02:16 pm »
hi tammy...
my spirited 7.5 mth ds is going through the exact thing!  (see the huge post "don't know what else to try... helllp!") i really don't have any suggestions, but wanted you to know you are not alone.
i've given motrin, upped caloric intake, gas drops, wake to sleep, even taken him to the doctor, but nothing is working.  the doctor finally said he has sep. anxiety.... but what do you do for that?
good luck to you, and i'll be watching this post very carefully to see if you guys figure anything out!!!!!
best wishes for better sleep,
betsy