Author Topic: too much sleep?  (Read 911 times)

Offline Sarah Q

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
too much sleep?
« on: October 26, 2005, 17:30:52 pm »
After 8 hectic weeks, I bought a copy of the Baby Whisperer (why didn't I do it sooner!).  I have read a lot of it already and am now on day three of implementing EASY.  I have realised that up to now I have misread my little boy's cues that he is tired and have tended to feed him instead of putting him down for a sleep.  He probably only slept about 1-2 hours during the day.  Now that I have a much better idea of when he is tired, I have been putting him down for a sleep every 3-4 hours the last two days.  However, he is sleeping about 2.5 hours each time - waking up for a feed and a nappy change.  I woke him up after his last nap because I started feeling anxious that he would have too much sleep and not sleep tonight.  He has always slept very well at night and the last couple of weeks has slept 8-9 hours in a block. 

I feel anxious that now he is sleeping during the day, he wont sleep as well at night - is there anything I should be doing at this stage to make sure he doesn't start waking more at night?  Should I wake him up after he has napped for 1.5-2hours?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
too much sleep?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 21:53:07 pm »
wow!  lots of improvement already!

some babies do need more sleep than others, and yours might be one of them.  if he's sleeping well at night, i wouldn't worry too much.  good sleep during the day begets better sleep at night.

as a rule of thumb, i wouldn't let my kids go more than 2.5-3 hours before eating at that age.  if they were still asleep then, i would wake them up.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy