Author Topic: 5 mo. old read to be done ebf?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: October 26, 2005, 20:28:01 pm »
I'm a little confused about Elise's feedings lately & am looking for some advice...  She has been fussing lately after just 2-3 minutes on each side.  I know she eats more efficiently now, and was only taking 10-15 minutes total to bf, but this seems really fast.  I don't think it's a supply issue since I see milk in her mouth when she's fussing & feel a difference in fullness after she eats.  She has bottles a couple times per week & doesn't fuss while eating that way.  About 2 months ago we switched to the fast flow nipples, which have made bottles go much smoother, but now I'm wondering if she prefers that to me. 

I wanted to ebf for at least 6 months (which we're close to making), but I have really mixed feelings about being done all together.  Anyone else experience this or have any ideas??

Thanks in advance for any help!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
5 mo. old read to be done ebf?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 00:45:46 am »
I think you've figured out exactly what is going on. Of course she prefers the fast bottle, it's less work!

If it were me, I'd elimate the bottles or at the very least switch back to a slow nipple. But I'm a SAHM and it's my job to breastfeed, kwim? You can also choose to express your milk and feed her that way. You have to decide what you want, what she would be best off doing, and what works for your family.

You are so close to starting solids and eliminating milk feeds. The second 6 months go so fast! It's always nice to hear the moms who say, "gee, I just want to keep nursing" and pretty soon baby is 1 yr old!  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 21:25:59 pm »
Thanks for the input!  It's now been a couple days since she's had a bottle & the fussing has diminished.  So...  I think that's probably the answer - bottles are easier & faster!  I work 2 half-days every week, so she will have to have bottles on those days - I guess I'll just have to decide whether to go back to slow flow nipples or deal with the fussing when bfing afterwards...

Thanks!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)