Author Topic: breaking 45 minute naps ?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline jsmith328

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 26, 2005, 20:57:50 pm »
I just started trying to break my  9 week old ds habit of waking after 45 minutes. I tried going in after 30 minutes and gently patting him to wake to sleep. It seemed to work but I did have to stay in the room for about 35 minute until he was back in a deep sleep. I have been fairly consistent with going in and getting him through his REM sleep. I started two days ago and now I see new habits forming. He has been waking up after 30 minutes instead of 45. He also used to go to sleep without any patting. I would wait for his first fussy sign which had been working, then swaddle and then right into the crib. He would drift off into a peaceful sleep. The past two days he need my help to get to sleep with patting and shushing. I have a couple of questions. Should I pat/shush only when he stirs during his REM sleep or constently? Is is okay to use the paci if he wakes up during the REM sleep? he using one to calm him and go to sleep but I don't know if it will make him dependant on falling back to sleep after he wakes. I'mm burnt out of trying this with all naps. I know Tracy said to start like you mean to go on but is is okay to trying this method of two of the three naps? I am feeling like a failure because he doesn't seem to be getting it. How long will it take? I know every baby is different but any suggestions would be helpful.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
breaking 45 minute naps ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 02:24:30 am »
First off i want to say i know how hard working on naps can be!  Naps are the hardest to fix and unfortunately take the longest.

IMO - is it okay to use the paci when wakes (have a look at the thread at the top of this forum "wake to sleep" it should answer a lot of your questions on this tech. including how long it will take, when to pat and when to stop, etc.

I know a lot of mom's including myself decided to work on just 1 or 2 naps - cuz like i said, this is darn hard - not to mention carrying for all there other needs!  So yes, i think it would be fine to work on just 2 out of 3.

Quote (selected)
I am feeling like a failure because he doesn't seem to be getting it.

Any mom who takes this much time to try to teach their LO sleep is not a failure, he is just learning and it will take time.  So be more gentle on yourself and go out or visit or walk when you start to feel down.

I hope this helps!  Don't hesitate to post again if you need support, that is what we are here for!

Offline jsmith328

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 05:03:23 am »
thanks so much for the kind words. I did read the thread and it did help. I think I will plan on working on the morning nap for a while and then increase to the other naps after that. That will make it much more do-able and live-able