Author Topic: Calling all mums of babies that "need less sleep"  (Read 1144 times)

Offline alison toms mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
Calling all mums of babies that "need less sleep"
« on: October 27, 2005, 10:23:53 am »
Tom is currently wide awake, despite shh pat for 25 mins after just 45 min nap, he is cheerfull and alert and although im going to continue trying to beat 45 min naps i realise that some babies do just need less sleep :?  and i may have to resign myself to this!

Im surethere are other mums out there whos babies need less sleep, and so take shorter naps and i thought it would be really useful to know how this effects your routine.... do you put your LO down for a nap just 45 mins before next feed to stick to easy (but taking away the opertunity to sleep longer if needed) or do ypu do EASYAE like i am right now!(this worries me as im afraid he wont be able to stay awake until next nap time and naps will start to eat into first activity time!) :?:  :?:

Could anyone post there routine, it would really help me, and poss some othjer mums out there!!

My routine seems to be ;-

7.30 up 7.40 E
8.00A
10.00S
10.45-11.05 Shh pat (to try and get DS back to sleep)
11.05A
11.30E
12.00A
2.00S
2.45-3.00 Shh pat
3.00A
3.30E (incl solids...big baby)
4.20A
5.30 cat nap
6.00A (Bath 6.15)
6.45 E
730 S (for night)
10.00 DF

He sleeps soundly at night from 730-5am thin may wake a bit grizzly 2 or 3 times, but he settles back down as soon as you shh him and lie hand on tummy (if only that worked during day!!! :x )
Alison

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:04:48 am »
Allison I was going to post about olivia and how we handled her 45 min naps etc in our EASY routine but looking at your posted routine i am wondering if he is just overtired and that is why he is doing shorter naps.  his A time seems huge for a 4 month old.

my 8 mo old is not awake as much as Tom in the day. Although he may wake up "cheerful and alert" i woudl just think about cutting back his A time and see if he increases his sleep.  He may not need 2 hr naps (olivia has only done a few of those since she was 3 months old  :roll:  but she does at least 1 x 1hr 30 per day and occassionally 2 of them)

what do you think??
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline alison toms mum

• Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 11:52:18 am »
i agree his A time is long, but weve actually worked gradually up to this amount of time to try and beat 45 min naps!!!!!, even now he is only just getting tired at sleep time (even after 2.5hs activity!!)  :roll:

actually think i may try to shorten activity time again tho if you think it may help.....but if i put him down at 9.30 for first nap and he wakes after 45 and wont go back to sleep after 20 mins of shh pat (this is my cut off as i go crazy sitting in a dark room longer than this if he is showing no signs of going back to sleep... i do it longer if he starts drifting off again!!)will that throw his routine as he'd then have nearly an hr of a time before his next feed?

Hes never taken more than 1.5 hrs at a time (except at night or on an odd occasion when hes not slept well the night before :? ) so that means even if i get him to take a full 1.5 hr sleep he will still be doing EASYA...is this what your LO use to do at this age?

I am trying to extend his naps (he sleeps pritty well at night, but i guess i just worry hell get into bad 45 min sleep habits!) but i would still be interested to hear how other mums whos babies really do need less sleep than average handle thir easy routine :)
Alison