Author Topic: Am I crazy for introducing the paci at 8 weeks?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Am I crazy for introducing the paci at 8 weeks?
« on: October 27, 2005, 11:36:55 am »
I tried to post this in the "props" forum but got no reply, so I will try here.  My lo is 8 weeks old and has never taken a pacifier.  She really is a good baby, I've done pat/shh from the start and while it's gotten easier, I still have to stay with her for the first 7-10 minutes to help her settle as she squirms and fusses through that time.  I use the aussie swaddle technique and have noticed over the last few days that she is trying to suck on her hands, but she's not that good at it yet and just ends up more frustrated-so, I decided to introduce the pacifier and as soon as I did, she settled and was out-it has even helped her a few times get through the 45 minute mark, when before, no amount of consoling helped her. 

So, am I crazy for introducing the paci this at this stage?  I absolutely will not give it to her at any other time, as I really hope that she eventually does find her finger/thumb.  My son was given a paci for the first 3 mos. and then found his thumb, and while at 2.5 years he still sucks his thumb, I would really prefer that she finds her thumb too.  I just don't want this paci thing to become an issue-should I just continue to console her through the first 7-10 minutes or just give in to the paci for now?  I read about the issues that can be created with the paci.  I re-read parts of Tracy's book re: use/misuse of pacifiers and it did put my mind somewhat at ease that she needs it right now, but should I then start trying to wean again when she's 3 mos?  I guess that is 5 weeks away.  Any advice would be appreciated!
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:42:21 am »
We recently wondered the same thing (DD is 11 weeks). However, I am trying not to give the pacifier unless absolutely necessary. She can find and prefers her own hand/fingers and does find them without frustration at night. It's only when overtired when waking early from naps that she seems to need the pacifier. But the times I've tried it then she just sucks and loses it and gets more upset...

Basically, I'm not sure what to tell you - would like to read any responses myself!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 11:54:55 am »
I introduce a dummy to DD when she was about 8 weeks also.  I also use it for naps and bedtime no other time.  She can find her thumb and suck on it during the awake times, but when she goes to bed, she likes being swaddled.  I have tried to unswaddled her to get to suck her thumb, but she gets so frustrated at the sucking her thumb noises (as she has got little hands) she can't go to sleep.

If I were to turn back the clocks IMO I wouldn't let her have a dummy, because at nights (and nap times after the 45 mins mark, I don't mind) I have to get up and replug it when she cries for it.  But I am going to wean her off it as soon as clocks change, and we have got over that obstacle.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel