Author Topic: All of a sudden, she's sleeping an hour later!  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
All of a sudden, she's sleeping an hour later!
« on: October 27, 2005, 11:40:00 am »
My 18 month old has ALWAYS been consistently a 6:00 wake up.  Then I changed her bedtime to 6:30 (versus 7:30) and she moved to 6:30...sometimes 7.  Well the last two days, she slept until 7:45.  Now when I put her in for her nap, she is just talking/playing until I go in 1 hour later and resettle her and then she'll fall asleep.  Is this a fluke or is it normal for nap times, bedtime and wake time to all fall later at around 18 months?

Offline momtocheyenne&toby

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:50:16 pm »
I don't know if this is a true phenomenon..but I have always noticed that my kids sleep patterns start to change at around the same time as the time change/season change and it has always made the time change seemless.
Cheyenne Summer 6-18-02
Toby James 12-17-04

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 14:39:31 pm »
I'd say enjoy it!  And maybe put her down for nap 15-20 mins later and see if that helps.  That's what I always do.  Dd has been sleeping in lately as well and I just move naptime a little bit later and it works for us until she changes her wake time again.

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 16:35:22 pm »
Well I put her in at 12:25 versus 12:00 today and so far she's just babbling and talking.  It's only been 10 minutes so we shall see.  I am thinking that in another 1/2 hour I'll go in and resettle her and hopefully she'll fall asleep.....I really can't have her nap after 1:00 because if she naps too late, bedtime will become HELL

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 17:21:53 pm »
I agree that if she sleeps in just put her down for her nap a bit later.

One question though, do you always go in and resettle her?  How do you resettle her?
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 17:55:45 pm »
Hi Carrie,

No I don't always resettle her, but what happens is if I put her in and she plays and talks for a long time (an hour) she then becomes overtired so I do one of two things ... at the hour mark, she usually starts fussing so I go in and either 1) lay her down and tell her it's night night time and leave....I give her some time to fall back asleep but usuaully one or two times of doing this and she's out...if I do go back in a third time, I pat/shh to sleep because by #3 she's crying hysterically.

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 10:55:56 am »
Well that was shortlived....back to 6:00 a.m. this morning....she was very restless last night though.  I am going to aim for a noon nap today but she's been so weird with her sleeping that I have no clue what to expect anymore.  I HATE not knowing.

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 15:37:06 pm »
My one thought about her talking and carrying on for such a long time before her nap is that she knows you are going to come in eventually.  Do you know what I mean?  Unless she is crying, I would leave her and let her fall asleep on her own.  I know it is frustrating, but I think if you continue to go in after a certain amount of time just because she hasn't fallen asleep, you could be giving her the wrong message.

Just a thought!  Let me know how today goes.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 15:39:06 pm »
You are probably right and I should probably just leave her...I get this fear that if I leave her, she will fall asleep too late and then be a mess tonight?  Ya know?  Well today she refused to eat lunch and I lost my patience with her (it was one of those days with temper tantrum after temper tantrum)...she woke at 6:20 a.m. and I don't think she was ready to wake so I think I should have given her a snack and then put her to bed at 11:30...now she went in without eating and I'm afraid she's going to wake starving.....it sounds like she went out quickly at least.