Author Topic: overtired baby won't go to bed  (Read 1331 times)

Offline beamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
  • San Jose, California, USA
overtired baby won't go to bed
« on: October 27, 2005, 15:32:56 pm »
hi there--
The last two nights have been really rough with Monica. I'm really at a loss b/c she has been so good about getting herself to sleep until now. Until recently I'd feed her and put her in bed pretty drowsy and she'd drift off.
the night before last I did that and she woke up in a few minutes. I ended up feeding her off and on for another hour, then held her until she fell asleep.
Last night was really hard b/c she was sooooo tired. She didn't take her normal little early evening nap (usually around 5). I fed her at 7, she didn't sleep after that, then at 9. I figured she was pretty tanked up by then and tried to get her to go to sleep. No such luck. I don't think she ever even began the stages of sleep or I just wasn't seeing things correctly.
For awhile she just looked around, then she started crying so I tried pat and shhh, but she is still in a bassinet and it was really hard to do as it has wheels and I kept moving the darn thing around.
so I picked her up and patted and shushed and she calmed down so I put her down. Needless to say this went on for an hour or so.
At 11 I fed her again. She was so tired the poor girl!
I put her down at about 11:30, I thought she was asleep. A few minutes later I heard some noises (not really crying) and she did get herself to sleep, so that was good!
But I really want (and she really needs) to have an earlier bedtime and then maybe a dream feed? Could this be a growth spurt? She is capable of going 8+ hours--it's almost 8:30am and she is still asleep. So if I could get her down before 9 and have her get up at 6 or so, that'd be great.
But I really don't know how to start! Help!
TIA
ps she's 10 weeks old
la mamá de Joseph, María y Monica

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 10:43:29 am »
I know Liam started his 3mo growth spurt at 10 weeks & I think Aiden was about 11 weeks... both earlier than the books say for everyone, so my immediate reaction reading it was it is an early growth spurt... I know with both my boys they didn't do the extra feedings all the time at the 3mo (& 6mo for Aiden) growth spurt, just sort of wanting an extra one every day for about 5-6 days.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline beamama

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • San Jose, California, USA
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 14:45:22 pm »
THanks, Kate! You may just be right! Last night was much much better so hopefully we're getting somewhere! I know I have been doing tons of accidental parenting just to get by in the craziness of having 3 kids, moving twice, etc. So hopefully we will get back on track!
Thanks!
Bea
la mamá de Joseph, María y Monica