Author Topic: Re: Cutting out a nap  (Read 1177 times)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Cutting out a nap
« on: October 27, 2005, 16:11:14 pm »
Hi,

My 9 month old has just started to extend his morning nap.  He used to sleep 8-10 with another nap in the afternoon.  Now he sleeps 8:15- 11:40 with no afternoon nap.  He has done this for 2 days and I havent waken him.  I am starting to think now that I should.  I know Tracy's book says that at this age some babies go from 2 naps to 1 long one but I would really love it if that nap was in the afternoon.  I know that sounds selfish but so be it.  Any advice?

Diego's Mama

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 17:18:54 pm »
A nap at 8:00 am sounds really early for this age.  What time does he wake for the day?  He should be able to handle three hours of awake time, at least two and a half at this age after inital morning waking.

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 21:01:32 pm »
He usually wakes at 6:00 for his feed.  I know that it is early but no matter what we try he cant sleep till 7.  So 6 is his first breast feed, then breakfast (solids) at 7 and then play time.  We start his winddown for nap at 8 and he is in bed by 8:10 or so.  I usually go by his sleep cues ( a yawn) to signal me to start the winddown.

Diego's Mama

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 17:41:58 pm »
Try working towards a good three hours of awake time before that first nap.  If he's up at six am for the day, nap him around nine am.  If he has a hard time with awake time, work on it gradually, extending his awake time by fifteen minutes every few days.

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 21:20:22 pm »
Ok, so I tried to keep him up today and put him to sleep at 9am.  This worked fine but I woke him up at 10:45 since I didn't want him to sleep all his nap time in one setting.  Then we breast fed, played, ate lunch, played more and I put him for a nap at 2:45.  That seemed like a long time to be up from 10:45 to 2:45 but he never fussed or yawned.  Finally I said nap time because I needed a break!  So I put him down and he's sleeping right now.

Thanks for the tip.  I hope he doesnt cut his 2 naps to 1.  It really breaks the day for me if he naps twice. I feel rejuvenated.  When he takes only one nap how does anybody get anything done!  I am always watching him or playing with him, feeding him, changing him,etc.  Any tips on how to better cope?