Author Topic: Should I be worried about short bf sessions?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Beata

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
Should I be worried about short bf sessions?
« on: October 27, 2005, 18:55:20 pm »
DD just went to a 4 hour EASY (yeay...I feel like a new person!)

Question is she never feeds for more than about 10 minutes during the day. Morning is less, evening maybe a little longer, and I still feed her at nights (df and early morning), and she usually will eat/and comfort nurse I think - need to break that habit! -  and then drift off (usually take 30 minutes).

Do you all think she could be getting a full feed during the day? What's your guess 4-6 oz?

She is the one that stops eating and I can't force her. I've offered her a few breakfast ebm bottles, and usually drinks 3 -4 oz then.

Anyhow, just looking for advice, maybe that's why she wakes do much at night!

Thanks,

annamum

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 00:13:06 am »
10 minutes sounds completely normal to me. A lot of babies eat very fast, in fact mine did eat in 5 minutes and was done. They get efficient and don't need to spend so much time on breast as they used to when they were newborn.

It is hard to say what is typical milk intake at this age as some babies take as little as 19 oz and some 32 oz. The average is 25 oz per day. You can go to: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html to see what would be an average milk intake for your baby.

How many feeds does she have per 24 hours? You said she feeds at night, how many times? Many babies at this age are distracted nursers during a day and end up waking at night. But, from my experience, it is pretty common for a baby your age to still wake up once or twice per night, not that it is desirable but it is normal  :wink:.

Offline Beata

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 00:23:22 am »
Great link...she wakes 2 - 3 times but I try to only feed her 2 times once about 11 pm and then about 4-5 am.

According to this link I feel more like we are doing ok :) Thanks!

annamum

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 00:30:40 am »
I am sure you are familiar with the site, there are other forums for night wakings, if you need help in that department... But I think, you are doing fine, feeding her twice is all she probably needs.