Author Topic: Leg slamming  (Read 30042 times)

Offline RebeccaH

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Leg slamming
« on: October 27, 2005, 21:38:54 pm »
Hi,

On p.255 of the last book Tracy talks about understanding the way babies slam their legs on the mattress, sadly I can't find anymore about this in the book. I live with a little leg slammer, he normally does it when he wakes in the night and also when he's settling himself back to sleep - he's only 4 months but it sounds like someone is trying to break into the house! He's sleeping fine (we're using wake to sleep to sort out night waking) and day routine is good, so I've no problem to solve (until next week!) but I was wondering if there is anything in particular that the leg slamming suggests/can tell me about my baby. Thanks.

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
Leg slamming
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 21:50:42 pm »
hmmm....Cait does this too.  I just thought it was her....interesting. Guess I will watch your thread to see what the others have to say....

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Leg slamming
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 02:42:12 am »
My dd does it, and I read that babies around this age start to learn cause and effect.  Ie: I slam my legs on the mattress and it shakes or makes noise.  This interests them to no end.  I laugh when dd does it when she's awake, but it drives me nuts when I'm trying to get her to sleep.  We have to wrap her legs sometimes and use a sheet across the mattress so she can't slam.  It seems to keep her awake and not let her settle.  Or I just haven't waited the hour and a half it might take her to sleep without assistance.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Leg slamming
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 03:26:04 am »
Aiden did It & now Liam does it, my call on it has always been that as they can't wriggle around to get comfortable like an adult/toddler/child can, it is their way of getting comfortable.

For both boys I have found it normally happens as they are unwinding gettting ready for sleep. With both boys I went from patting them to patting the mattress in sleep training & I often wonder if it wasn't them repeating the sound to soothe. DH & I used to hear him do it lots when he was about 7-9mo, He'd wake whinge & then do the leg kicks & go back to sleep.

Aiden was still doing it (modified bed time only not naps) at almost 2yo, he has stopped now (replaced with sleep talking), but Liam does it.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 03:31:08 am »
Mihika does that too, and I also think its her way of unwinding. Even at night when she wakes up, she'll do a few of those to get comfortable, and go back to sleep.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline JudeBaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Leg slamming
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 15:36:05 pm »
My little guy used to do that as well.  I think it helped build his abs.  He's got a six pack under those rolls from all that slamming he used to do. 
Cherish his new development...because in the scheme of things, it won't last long.
Jude Matthews 3/27/05

Offline RebeccaH

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Leg slamming
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 09:33:56 am »
You're right about the abs, he's a little muscle ball! Once I realised it was only him and not a thief in the night I'm fine about it. Even though he may take a while to settle himself this way he seems more than content so no worries!