Author Topic: Miracle blanket  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Miracle blanket
« on: October 27, 2005, 22:34:06 pm »
Has anyone every tried the miracle swaddle blanket? I just ordered one. I am desparate to get my guy too sleep. He finally gets to sleep and then is woke up by his reflexes.

Also, my son gets overtired VERY EASILY. It seems if I dont get him to sleep during his window, he will fight his sleep all day. Sometimes his window is gone while I am trying to burp him. He doesn't burp well, and if it doesnt come out then that will make him miserable for a while. He cried from 5pm to 10 pm yesterday, and of coarse with his eyes closed and grunting. I finally patted and walked around with him in the dark, and he fell asleep.
I am not sure which is the lesser evil the burping or the sleep window.

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Miracle blanket
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 22:41:41 pm »
Hi Gage's mom...
When my DS was an infant, I ordered one of those blankets too.  It was ok, but I think a regular blanket works better if you wrap them well.  There's a sticky somewhere on the Aussie Swaddle.

How old is your DS?  If your baby is less than 12 weeks old, you might try the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp.  There are some amazing tips on how to calm a baby and help them sleep better.  I found it to be a perfect companion to the BW techniques.

Offline stressybessy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Miracle blanket
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 22:59:40 pm »
Have been using the swaddle blanket for my thirteen week old and find it really handy as he always got out of my swaddles! maybe it was my technique tho! I find that my DS falls asleep a lot quicker and stays asleep longer.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Miracle blanket
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 00:12:12 am »
For a colicky baby, I would say the miracle blanket really is a miracle.  My dd got out of the ordinary blanket swaddles.  With the miracle blanket, they really can't get out of it until they starting getting too big for it.  It's also made of lightweight stretchy material so the baby won't overheat.  I found it helped tremendously with sleeping issues, as she would only sleep in the swing until we swaddled her.  Be aware though, that it can become a prop.  I have posted many, many swaddling threads because it was very hard and still is to wean dd off the swaddle.  But up until at least 3 months and maybe more, it is fantastic.  I also agree you should read the Happiest Baby on the Block.  It emphasizes the 5 S's in this order:

1. Swaddling
2. Side (or Stomach) Means hold them in swaddle facing outward on their side, or you could try holding on your shoulder.
3. Shhhh (Needs to be very loud for baby to hear over crying)  Not directly into the ear but past it.
4. Swinging
5. Sucking

Dr. Karp believes that these techniques, used all together, can calm the most colicky of babies.  For babies that are not colicky, but just need soothing, you can pick and choose which of these works best.  DD wasn't colicky, so we did swaddling all the time, along with the paci.  The swing was a great help too.

But get his book because he explains each of the S's in detail and how to do them correctly.
Good luck.

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 02:35:31 am »
I used the miracle blanket with great success.  The first night I used it, he literally slept through the night, from probably 10 p to 6 or 7 am. 

I used it all the way until he was probably 6 or 6 1/2 months old.  And he's a big boy!  Of course, at that point, I was just wrapping it around him and tucking in his feet, his arms were free for thumb sucking.

Good luck!

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Miracle blanket
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 03:06:10 am »
we also used the mircle blanket and it was great for an older LO as you can use it w/o the feet in - so dd was swaddled till 7-8mos!

• How lucky am I?
Miracle blanket
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 03:44:15 am »
My girlfriend also told me about the 5s. I try to implement them, but he just wont calm down. I don't think he likes being on his side. He doesn't really like the pacifier either. If I could find one shaped like his bottle nipple I think he would like it. Has anyone seen one of those?

• How lucky am I?
Miracle blanket
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 03:54:21 am »
Did your children liked to be swaddled right away? My son doesn't seem to. I ordered this blanket hoping he will grow to like it.

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 12:50:49 pm »
We initially tried swaddling our ds at night from birth, but he got out of every swaddle we tried.  So, we gave it up.  And for 2 months, he was waking a lot from his reflexes.  So, I ordered the miracle blanket, and tried it.  He didn't like being in it at first, but slept through the entire night the first time I used it.  I would say after about 2 days he was totally fine being in it.  Those first few times he would cry, but I did it anyway, and he slept much better.

Good luck!