Author Topic: How to intro a paci?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Lora

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to intro a paci?
« on: October 27, 2005, 23:00:44 pm »
My 8 week old suckles to soothe-I had been offering her the breast to do this, in the last week I have been trying to intro EASY. She now feeds every 2.5-3 hours and sleeps more at night (waking at 3 to 4 hours--she used to wake every hour to two to suckle and get a snack). Problem is napping, which I've tried everything suggested in the forums and the books, nothing seems to work. I think a pacifier would really help her ease into sleep but she won't take one, tried a couple of models, hates them... even my mom dipping some sugar on it behind my back has not done the trick! Help! (Also have ordered the miracle blanket to try swaddling she is too big for normal blankets and really active so she kicks off blankets).
Any advice would be appreciated... thanks!

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
How to intro a paci?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 05:11:20 am »
I am in the same boat. I think my son would do better with a paci shaped like his bottle. I am not sure they make them. I too ordered the miracle blanket. I am hoping it does what it promises and will perform miracles. I need one!  My son is fussy around the same time each evening. I think he needs more wind down time. Do you give your children wind down time before each nap?

Offline KozulS

• Showing Appreciation 0
what types have you tried
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 16:54:47 pm »
I know pacis are expensive - but have you tried every kind?  Are they refusing it or can they just not hang on to it - hard to tell in the beginning.  Our girls were able to only hang onto a pacifier by Gerber called the GentleFlex (supposed to feel like the breast).  Now they will suck on just about anything, but those are still their favorites.   We still don't do nap time without them.
Sarah
Mom to Identical twins Alena & Iva born on May 11, 2005

Offline Lora

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to intro a paci?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 18:19:36 pm »
I've tried 2 types of pacis so far (by Gerber) one orthodontic and the another one that looks more like a nipple... neither worked, but you are right I should try them all -- just need to get out to the store! In terms of winding down my LO, I've found that regardless of what I do she really fights sleep. I'm having more luck with a morning nap, seems like she is still pretty relaxed from her night sleep, but by afternoon she is not into sleeping at all, so to get her some rest I'm using props--baby carrier and stroller for walks. By evening she is usually really really tired, so she can get quite fussy, last night, for the first time I got her to sleep right after her 6PM feed and she slept until 9, but I'm thinking that's from her being exhausted over the afternoon struggle to get her to nap in ther crib. I will try to get her to sleep tonight right after the feed again, I know I should do an activity but if she's overtired that kind of exacerbates matters. Right now the car seat seems to have a magical ability to help her sleep during the day, so for now that's what I'm using... I'll try working on the crib again next week.

• How lucky am I?
How to intro a paci?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 20:51:48 pm »
Hi Lora! It sounds like we have the same baby. What you just described is the same thing I am going through. I had no idea babies were so hard to get to sleep. I was under the impression that babies were always sleeping regardless of where they were at. Boy was I wrong. Everyone I know has never had this issue to this extreme. Everyone tells me to let my son just cry for a while, and then I read that is basically forbidden. I am torn! Sometimes, I have to let him cry for a few minutes because I have just had enough. The BW techniques are VERY EXHAUSTING! When he does cry, I cry because I feel like it is the wrong thing to do. I just want to do the best thing for my son.

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
How to intro a paci?
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 21:13:42 pm »
This pacifier is AWESOME.  It is the ONLY one my son will take.  My DD took it in the beginning also and another BW suggested giving it to DS.  It took a few times but he finally took it.

https://store.childmed.com/Detail.cfm?matrn=96004-N&clogid=11&categoryID=11&action=search&searchText=&searchCat=&searchPart=&searchResults=5
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

• How lucky am I?
How to intro a paci?
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 21:18:43 pm »
Oh my word! This is exactly what i was looking for! Thanks!

Offline Lora

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to intro a paci?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 23:47:25 pm »
Thank you. Tried to order for Canada and discovered the soother is also available at Walmart. Thanks again, will keep you posted.
Cheers.

Offline damara

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to intro a paci?
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 00:37:35 am »
Hi all, with regards to holding on to the paci, i found a cherry shaped teat to be the best. Here in Oz the best type of paci is actually one of the cheapest on the market (amazing i know and proves you don't have to spend a fortune). Tomee Tipee makes the same sort of shape also. The larger cherry shape prevents bub from losing it too easy.
I too went through many different shapes til someone on another notice board suggested it. It works a treat.

Offline kendallnangie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 03:19:30 am »
Hi, For what its worth, I held it in for them in the begginning just so that could get used to it?!? It worked for us, and no sooner do they really get to liking it, we took it away :)
I take the paci away no later than 4 months, but start weaning them from it at about 3 months.
in short, try holding it in for them :wink:
Angie