Author Topic: I think I need to stop the dream feed?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline AvasMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 28, 2005, 14:24:30 pm »
My dd will be 7 months in a couple weeks and I've started to notice when I go to get her from her crib for a dream feed she wakes up. She usually would sleep right through the whole thing. I've been doing a dream feed for… gosh I think from when she was only a month old. I can't believe how sad I am to have to give it up. Last night was her last one. I'm sure I can expect her to wake up more often at night now (although she has been waking up at 2:30 every morning now - teething I hope).
Did your dc wake up more since you've stop dream feeding? Am I the only one that has gone this far? And am I the only one sad to have to let go of this? They grow up so fast. :(

TIA
Ava Grace born April 7, 2005

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
I think I need to stop the dream feed?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 18:03:31 pm »
Nope, I think you're right to drop it if she is waking up. It messes up her sleep cycle and she will actually sleep worse.

Yes, a lot of moms are very sad, this is a milestone, and baby is growing up.  :cry:  Just remember it is the beginning of fabulously fun times ahead, and enjoy the earlier bedtime yourself without the feeding!  :wink:  And it IS ok to be sad for a while!  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 19:16:35 pm »
I was a bit sad when we stopped ds's dreamfeed.  It was the time where it's all dark, and I'm sitting with him in his room feeding him.  And we're all snuggly there...  :cry:

Anyway, once I dropped the df, he slept great.  When I started to decrease the df, he actually seemed to wake more during the night.  When I finally dropped all together, he went back to sleeping through.

Good luck!

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 21:29:54 pm »
This is something I've been wondering about too...  Also, when dropping the df, will you need to feed more in the day?  Elise eats 5x/day now (ebf) including the df - she's on 4 hour easy.  That would mean only 4 feedings/day which doesn't seem like a lot.  She will be starting rice cereal soon, so maybe that makes up for some of the calories?  Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline AvasMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 01:31:04 am »
Oh my gosh thank you so much for responding. It always was my favorite feeding. She was always so snuggly and warm. But I've got to drop it sooner or later. I can only imagine how I'll be when I need to wean her completely  :lol: .

Heather - Ava started rice cereal (at 6months) and I seem to feed her about the same as I did before I started it (5x/day not including df). So I’m also curious if she’ll need to eat more after dropping the df. But I think it all will come together.
Ava Grace born April 7, 2005

Offline hmckay726

• Showing Appreciation 0
I think I need to stop the dream feed?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 02:51:45 am »
We just dropped the df about two weeks ago. My dd just turned 8mo. It was hard to do for me as well. She looked so sweet as I held her in the dark.

She did need more food in the daytime. I tried to do what Tracey's book suggested, by increasing the first feed and then little by little the others. We are on 3 meals of solids (2  #2 jars each meal) and 4 bf/day. Although it took a while to see how much food she needed. She's a big girl for her age (19 lbs, 29").

She woke up a few times, but then every time she woke up I tried to give her a little more than normal the next day. We eventually evened out and now she's sleeping great again. It is kind of a guessing game at first, especially when starting solids, but your lo will let you know what she needs. Good luck!