Author Topic: Wakes up EVERY 20/45 min interval -- is this normal??  (Read 3832 times)

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Wakes up EVERY 20/45 min interval -- is this normal??
« on: October 28, 2005, 16:23:14 pm »
I'm on Day 5 of EASY. Lost the nursing prop a few days ago, and began to see him going to sleep for 2 regular naps (this is a new thing.) I'm now working on extending naps.

But I need to stay with him through pretty much the entire nap, because he needs resettling through all 20 minute light sleep segments, and again at each 45 minute mark. The longest I've gotten him to sleep is 90 minutes.

Is it normal for him to need so much help? (he's 5 months, btw).

Offline hlc662

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 14:30:25 pm »
I am having to do the same thing with my almost 5 month old.  Let me know if you find anything out!

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 16:21:35 pm »
I tried increasing his A time this morning, to 2 1/2 hours. No luck. He's up now after waking 4 times from his 11:00 nap. (it's now 12:20 my time).

The other thing I'm going to try is to decrease his night sleeping. He sleeps 6:30 to 6:30 with one night waking. Then, after his 6:30 feed, which only takes 10 minutes, he goes back to sleep until 8-8:30.

So, maybe I need to put him back to bed only until 7:30, and then wake him up. And put him down for a nap at 10. (Any one have any advice on whether this sounds like a reasonable thing to do???)

How long have you been working on this w/your baby? It is Day 6 for me... but we're beginning month 3 of trying to get him to nap. I am losing it.  :?

Diego's Mama

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 16:24:48 pm »
The back to bed after being awake at 6:30 - 8:30 is acting as his first nap. You've concentrated all his sleep at night and early morning.  He probably just isn't that tired following that.  When he wakes at 6:30, don't put him back down.  Start your day then, move his nap to 8:30 am and see how he does with it.

Adjust his other daytime naps accordingly with about two hours of awake time between them.  Watch is cues carefully to adjust his awake time to more or less depending on what he needs.

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 17:35:55 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I tried it this morning, not working (yet) He slept from 7:30 to 7:15 last night, with one night waking and I kept him up and put him down for a nap at 9am, when he seemed very sleepy.

Unfortunately, he did his same drill, and is doing it again now (waking at 20 minutes and then at 40 minutes, and crying).

I know that waking up at 40/45 minutes is normal...
and that the first 20 minutes are light sleep...
but is it normal for him to wake up and CRY after the first 20 minutes? He can't seem to make it through 15-20 of sleep on his own.

Is gas a potential (typical) problem? (he is breast fed).

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 17:46:12 pm »
That sounds exactly like my daughter.  Sometimes she will wake up screaming after 20 minutes.  Today is day number 6 for  us...

Naps are our hardest thing.  I am going to try keeping her up when she first wakes in the morning...We are totally thrown off today because of daylight saving.  I didn't realize it until it was too late, so she is an hour ahead of schedule.  I am gradually trying to catch her up, but her nap schedule is way off.  I hope this doesn't totally set me back!

Offline luckymom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 19:20:09 pm »
I am having the same problem.  My LO was an excellent sleeper, but I have evidently messed it up somewhere.  He wakes after 20 minutes, SCREAMING.  Using PU/PD, we've gotten a little better at settling back down to sleep another 20 mins, but the CURSE of the swaddle is also a factor.  At 15 wks, can't sleep without it, as his arms flail around, but can't stand to be in it, and screams as we swaddle him.  He then twists, turns, strains and pushes to get out.  So we're taking naptime 20 mins at a time right now, and I am at my wits end. 

Nighttime sleep is better.  We put him down at 8:30 and don't hear a peep until around 4 AM, when he is unswaddled and unhappy.  We reswaddle and then have to do this again about 2 more times before 7 AM.  Can ANYONE help us?  I've read all the 45 min. nap info, but what about 20 minutes and the swaddle curse?  :?

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 19:24:46 pm »
I looked back at the past couple of days and realized that she screams around 2 hours after I feed her.  This usually falls about 20 minutes after she falls asleep.  I also noticed that there is usually spit up in her bed when I go in...
The doctor gave us some medicine to coat her esophogus so it wouldn't get inflamed from the reflux.  We stopped giving it to her because we thought she was okay.  I am wondering if this is what is causing the screaming.  Today when she screamed, I gave her the medicine and soon after she fell asleep and slept awhile.  I am going to continue the meds and see if it makes a difference. 
She is the same at night...She goes down and we don't hear from her till morning.  I don't know why it wouldn't affect her then.  Maybe since she goes down soon after she eats, she doesn't move around and make the reflux worse.

Offline luckymom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 19:49:16 pm »
My LO has reflux as well, and is also on meds.  I have also wondered about it affecting his sleep at naptime...or if the dosage needs to be increased.  I hate to give him medication, but also want him to be comfortable. 

BTW, we are now 40 mins into a nap!!!  I just realized it when I looked down and realized I had missed the window to go in and check him out.  At 20 mins, I went in and he had worked one arm up by his ear, but still in the swaddle  :D That thing is a blessing and a curse!  But I still recommend it to my preg. friends! 

The initial going to sleep for Will is very easy, it is just this 20 min mark.   Is it the jerk of the sleep stage that frightens them into screaming?

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 19:53:04 pm »
That is great!!!  I hope the nap continues!!!
Same for me...Riley is alseep sometimes before I am out of the room...Who knows...Babies are so mysterious!

Offline luckymom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 20:26:21 pm »
Update!  We're now 1 hr 15 minutes into the nap (after several previous wake ups!) and are 20 minutes past his feed time!  Since we're so off schedule today because of the time change, I am not going to wake him yet, but I can hardly contain my excitement! 

I guess persistance and consistency are the key...

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 21:02:46 pm »
Yippie! 

Quote (selected)
I guess persistance and consistency are the key...
You couldn't be more right, most moms give up too early!  Well done to you for sticking it out.

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 21:13:00 pm »
good for you!!!  :D

Like your babes, Luca learned to fall asleep on his own the second day into this program, last week. (it is really sweet...  :wink: )

Also - he was on meds for reflux up until 2 months ago (he was 3.5 months old), and I too have noticed him "chewing" at his wake-up times the way he used to, like something is coming back up on him. And also noticed acid-smelling spit up. And, like your little ones, he sleep wonderfully at night.

Could it be the reflux coming back??? At night, their digestive systems slow down so perhaps there is less acid so less reflux?? Also, he passes gas often at points where he wakes up.

I JUST threw out this reflux meds, thinking "why do I still have this...?"... man, wish I had it now to see if it would make a difference to him! I'm going to call his pedi tomorrow and see what he says.

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 00:37:15 am »
Things are out of control!  She just cries the entire nap time.  She sleeps a little and cries over and over.  Even when I pick her up, she cries...She is not getting any good naps, so she is so tired and grumpy!  Today she even fell asleep in her jumper...poor thing.

Offline luckymom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 02:04:28 am »
A friend of mine gives her baby Maalox Supreme for reflux...the pediatrician may be able to tell you the best amount or whether that is prudent.  My LO also passes gas when he wakes in the night.

I am dreading the naps tomorrow, I hope I have at least one good one like today!  Anyone have tips on weaning off the swaddle, since he wants his arms out so badly?  That seemed to be the trick with the long nap today, he got his arms up by his head and yet still in the swaddle.  I am surprised he could breathe!

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 02:43:34 am »
Luckymom - you could swaddle w/ 1 arm out and then move to both arms out but legs still swaddled etc.  What swaddle blanket to you use?  OR the auzzie swaddle (search this site) may work for you.

hlc662 - Tracy always recommended to get any medical issues resolved before moving forward w/ nap/sleep training.

You and Your LOs all are new to EASY yes?  It is normal for them to need lots of help at first.  It take 2-3 weeks to re-set the bio-rythems.

I'll keep on eye on your thread but it looks like you have found a great support group.

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 14:50:46 pm »
THanks!  We have been seeing a GI, so I think her reflux is under control.  That is why I have had to wait 5 months to try BW.  Last night she slept from 7:30 until 6:30 without a peep!!!

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 16:38:19 pm »
So far Riley has been sleeping an hour and 30  minutes!!!!!  I only had to go in there once after 45 minutes!!!!!

Offline luckymom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 18:02:54 pm »
Hooray!

After a crazy pumpkin carving night lastnight, an exhausted LO went down at 9:30 and slept until 6:40 this morning with no events (I left one arm out per advice and also moved him up next to a bumper pad on that side for "support".  Morning nap was a bust, but we weren't at home, and so far this afternoon is at 1 hour with a brief wake up at 25 mins.  I noticed 3 signif. jolts between 10-13 minutes, and then that one at 25 mins.  But this is better than yesterday...

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 18:05:21 pm »
That is great!!!  Hopefully we will keep up the progress!!!

Offline luckymom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 21:07:59 pm »
Well, bad news, we've had a major relapse.  Wed. & Thursday have been awful for naps, with him being very hard to get back down after waking at the 25 min mark and every 10 min after and not eating well because he can't stay awake on the boob.  I am at wits end again, and now this weekend we're going to the inlaws, which will put his schedule into upheaval!  I guess we start again next week??? I don't know if my heart can take it!

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 22:13:08 pm »
Let your inlaws help LOTS and if they don't offer...ask them!  Plan on taking things as they come, don't stress about it one bit.

Then hopefully you will be ready and re-freshed next week!

Offline luckymom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 23:27:07 pm »
Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.  I just really want him to nap well...this afternoon, after many attempts, he slept for an 1 and 20 solid, with a few wakes before that for a total of 2 hours!  I got so much done!!!  And he is so much happier when he's slept!