Author Topic: QUESTION ABOUT CARSEATS & WEIGHT  (Read 1443 times)

Offline aj

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: October 28, 2005, 16:28:07 pm »
Hi!  I wasn't sure where I should post this, but I figured going in the carseat fits under Activity Time, so here it is!

My question is this: the weight that is recommended for the forward-facing carseat says 22 Lbs. - do they mean the weight with their clothes on, or without, or does it really matter? 

I'm asking because my dd is 1 yr. old, and weighs 19 Lbs., but she is getting too long for the rear-facing seat, and with her heavy coat on, the straps are really hard to buckle up.  There's just no way she can fit in that rear-facing seat when she has to wear her full snowsuit, which will be coming very soon!

Do you think it's okay to put her in the forward facing seat because she will weigh about 22 Lbs. with all her winter gear on?

Any info would be great! Thanks in advance! :D

Daniel's mummy

QUESTION ABOUT CARSEATS & WEIGHT
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 16:37:36 pm »
We have just bought s forward facing seat this week.  Ds weighs about 24 lb now so is easily heavy enough, but the guy in the shop who we spoke to about it said the most important thing is whether they can sit up unaided or not.  He said 8 month at the earliest and when they can sit up unaided for at least 10 mins.  Obviously your dd meets both criteria.

Offline Beata

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 17:30:51 pm »
Here in the U.S. the recommendation is 1 year AND 20 pounds, so I think you can use your judgement :) I'll have a problem soon. My dd is about 28 inches now, and weights maybe 17 pounds, so I have a feeling we might have to switch before 1 year!

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 18:09:26 pm »
I think she'd be fine in a forward-facing seat.

Don't forget about the height limits for infant seats too.  We had to move dd into a convertible rear-facing seat at 6.5mos (only 15lbs) as she exceeded the 26" height limit.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 19:46:22 pm »
We also got a convertible rear/forward facing seat (the Alpha omega) because dd was getting too long for the infant seat but wasn't get 20 lbs or 1 year old.  With the convertible seat, we can keep her rear facing for up to 30 lbs, I think - which is safer anyway.  Just something to consider...
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 20:14:01 pm »
Oh i was going to post this q for a friend of mine, her LO is 5 months old and weigh's a whopping 23lbs, he is sitting, but not for very long at one time. Her infant carrier says only to go up to 20lbs, what should she do???
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline Beata

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 20:16:22 pm »
I think she will have to get a convertible car seat and face it backward until he's closer to a year.

Offline rachelle

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 20:28:42 pm »
yes, if they outgrow the infant seat, you need to get a convertible car seat that can be rear or forward facing.  The important thing with going to forward facing is actually the age...the reason the 20 lbs is on there is because the minimum weight  for some forward-facing seats used to be 20 lbs, so they've kept that number.  But the important thing is that they are at least 1 year, although many places say waiting till 2 years or longer is much better.  I have seen a good article about it, will try to post later.
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline aj

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 00:27:17 am »
Thank you all for your posts! You're all so knowledgeable!!  :D

I went and got the Eddie Bauer carseat that can be used rear-facing from 5 - 30 Lbs., and then from 22 - 80 Lbs. forward-facing.  That solves my dilemma of being afraid to have her facing forward at her weight/age.

Thanks so much for your help!