Author Topic: Help! I've created a swing addict!  (Read 898 times)

Offline TayTay'smummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Help! I've created a swing addict!
« on: October 28, 2005, 19:21:57 pm »
My six-week old baby girl refuses to go to sleep on her back and needs to be in her swing to sleep. Not just in her swing, but it needs to be constantly in a swinging motion, if it stops, then she wakes up. I've tried to do the winding down thing, putting her down just as she is doing the head bobbing thing, put her in her crib and she snaps back to being fully awake, despite swaddling, pacifier, ect. I do pat/shh time and time again and she keeps waking until so much time has passed that we miss a cycle, she get hungry and needs to feed and completely misses out on her naps. I've set aside entire days to break this cycle and by evening, we're both frustrated, cranky and she doesn't sleep well through the night. I'm not sure what to do, I feel like just continuing with the swing, because she at least sleeps well and then I don't feel like pulling my hair out, any suggestions ?
Mummy to Miss Taylor (Born Sept.14/05)

Offline kendallnangie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 03:30:50 am »
Hi,
I don't know if I have any real helpful advice but I will try...
if I were you, I would just put it in another room and TRY to forget about  it...I know that sounds impossible right now, but give me a minute. :D
I would venture to say that it probably is not the swing as much as you think..it probably has more to do with yo guys missing the window.
How long is you LO staying up in between each nap?
If it is more than an hour then I would say that she is getting overstimulated, and therfore making it hard for her to settle enough to get to sleep peacefully....A swing will more times than not GET a baby to sleep by nothing other than the momentum. That is why she wakes up when it stops....What do your days look like so far....6 wks isn't much but for the most part, what is her EASY
when my babies were that small they were only able to stay up for about 45 minutes, that includes feeding and changing times :?   
anyhow lets see what your days look like and maybe you can get some more help that way :D
HTH,
Angie

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Help! I've created a swing addict!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 18:03:43 pm »
i agree, it sounds like you're missing the sleep window, which throws off your entire day.  she's overtired, so she can't sleep as well.... very viscious cycle!

you may be able to quit the swing cold turkey since she's so little, but if you really don't want to you may want to try taking it away gradually.  stop the motion first - and soothe her in the swing.  once she no longer needs the motion, put her in the crib - but elevate the mattress & place rolled up towels around her so she still feels nice & cozy like in the swing.
after a few days, you can take away the towels.

good luck.   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy