Author Topic: has it ever NOT worked?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline tereshay

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
has it ever NOT worked?
« on: October 29, 2005, 04:13:23 am »
dd is 13 months and has been on e.a.s.y for a few months now and was going well. not sleeping through night though because she was still using me as a prop.

her sleeping was getting worse because of this so i decided that i'd better start, now or never.

i wait until she is sleepy. then leave for one minute.. come back lay her back down then leave again. first time it took 1 hour. the next night she got herself so worked up i gave in (bad i know) and went back to the old method.

but then i am in the room so long with her because she decides to play, so i made the mistake of making her lie down so she would sleep. it worked but then she came to rely on me having my arm over her back.

so back to the leaving the room method. and this time sticking to my guns. but i did not count on my spirited stubborn child!!!!

last night was the first night. 1 hour, then she got up one hour later, i went in only a few times before she went back to sleep.  she then slept until 4.30am. which was great. i woke at midnight, then 3 waiting for her to wake which she didn't :)

but then.....

she has not been to sleep since!!! iv not given in, but neither has she!!! iv taken her out to change her, feed her.

and if she has been in there for ages (40mins) then take her out, quiet time for a few minutes then i tell her that she is going back to bed and we try again.

it is now 5pm and am about to give her dinner to our normal bath then stories then i am giong to try again.

she is also teething.

but. last time and this time... first time is easy, then she really really protests!!! am i doing it right? should i continue? does it get easier? before this i tried the leaving the room gradually trick... that only made things worse.

any advice would be most appreciated, anyone been here before, please tell me this is going to work. i'm so very very tired, a solo mum doing this all on my own with no-one to take over.

she is a good girl (when not being made to stay in bed by herself) she is playing quite happily, even thou she looks like a zombie!!
Shakaya 03.10.04 angel/spirited/touchy - a little bit of everything depending on her mood :)

Offline tereshay

• Showing Appreciation 0
has it ever NOT worked?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 06:58:43 am »
well it didn't work! it is now 8pm and she is finally asleep but that because she was so tired, i was pretty much there when she fell asleep.

she was so upset, when i went in to lay her down she kept grabbing my hand and trying to sit on it or kneel on it... then she was going to sleep sitting up or on her hands and knees so i wouldn't leave. made me laugh and cry at the same time.

will it ever work? am i doing it wrong?

no idea how long it will last.
Shakaya 03.10.04 angel/spirited/touchy - a little bit of everything depending on her mood :)

Offline webfoot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
has it ever NOT worked?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 07:26:36 am »
Well... hmm... I'm sure it's always worked for sleep experts!

Okay I'm also pretty sure where you went wrong is taking her out of the room. If you took her out for bath/ bed/ feed/ no matter what, you are bascially resetting your clock. I guess I don't get what the thinking was there??? It's almost like going a whole day w/o smoking then having an after dinner smoke.

I "indulged" dd for a long time w/ a middle of the night bottle. She could hold it, I'd to make it, give it to her, and she'd feed herself and go back t sleep. It was 3 hard nights of consoling (she was 9+ months at the timeso past pu/pd. I just held her and said "no more milk!"_ and she acquiessed and slept through the night rather quickly.

My third is a boob addict and from 3 to 6am wants to snuggle and nurse and to be quite honest at this point I just indulge, I don't see the point of stressing over schedule. I was a working mom with ds #1 so I know where the need to sleep through is huge in that circumstance but beyond that I think part of my role is to be there for baby.

Sleep issues are so hard, it's all a balance of mom's nerves vs/ baby's will. You have to decide how bad the night wakings are taking a toll on you and then adjust accordingly. Good luck!
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline tereshay

• Showing Appreciation 0
has it ever NOT worked?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 22:02:52 pm »
thanks.

well, i have to take her out of the room for change, food etc lol. so i will just keep persevering

last night i got her to sleep after 1hour. she then woke 1/2hour later. then just grizzled so i left her, then 1/2hr later she was quiet. great!

then i kept hearing the cot rattle, so i checked on her incase she had a hand through the bars or something. she was asleep... Sanding Up!!!! how stubborn is she!!!!

i lay her back down, then left. she cried then went quiet.... so i waited a few minutes a checked on her again. same thing! she was asleep standing up with her cheek/head resting on the bars!

so i kept laying her back down, third time she did not cry when i left, but still stood up and went to sleep. i lay her down and she didn't get up again. she slept until 6.45am.

we are now on day 2, sttarting again. she fighting it still. had to take her out twice so far... two dirty nappies already.