Author Topic: Should I rush in.. or...?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline julieetheperky

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Should I rush in.. or...?
« on: October 28, 2005, 06:00:58 am »
Hi. I'm so exhausted now...
My DD is 6mo old. She is on 4hr EASY but has never been a good sleeper.

Whenever she wakes up from nighttime or nap, if I don't rush in,
her fussing becomes distressed cry ALWAYS (I think my shh/pat is her prop, so I'm working on it now).
And when I go in there to soothe her, now, her distressed cry becomes screaming. Yes, that just happened this evening.

She'd screamed, screamed for 1.5 hr. Yes, One and Half hour.

My voice, patting, PU/PD, nothing worked. Just screaming, screaming. Then I was really exhausted. so while repeating my keyword(reassurance), I one-stepped out from her crib and I took several deep breath.
Funny thing,,,, I heard her screaming became just normal cry. Seemed like she's trying to self-soothe.
And when I went to have a cup of water,,,, I also heard her normal cry became mantra cry.
Outside the room, I hesistated to go in there for a while. I, again, heard her mantra cry stopped.
Now, she's just repeating mantra cry, stop, mantra cry, stop....
My presence makes her more upset? (but.. now she's calling me...)
(The very same thing happened once, 2 weeks ago..)

What should I do? Go in there, or wait?
Do you think she can self-soothe?

Any advice, please..

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Should I rush in.. or...?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 09:51:11 am »
In these sort of situations it is really hard to offer advice... my first peice is trust you instinct on this one... my next is I don't agree with letting my boys cry alone but that said on the one occasion I had to deal with my toddler & left my baby crying, he did settle quickly on his own & made me think that maybe I was preventing him going to sleep - he normally settles without crying.
So while as a BW moderator (& mother) I won't recommend letting her cry alone, I will say you know your baby best & need to work out if letting her be alone for a short while is best for her if your presence is more distressing.
All that said, if she is upset trying to get to nap in the day time after 30-40 mins it is best take her away from her room & do something quiet for 10mins & start again
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05