Author Topic: It's One Sleep Issue After Another......When Will It End?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline i-wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
It's One Sleep Issue After Another......When Will It End?
« on: October 29, 2005, 10:19:08 am »
Hello There

OK.  Aidan started waking up up to 6 times at night when he was 6mths old.  He is now 10mths old and during this time I have managed to train him to become dependant on his dummy for sleep :roll: but have also successfully weaned him off it a few weeks back :D .  I've also managed to train him to become dependant on his lovie without realising it until 1wk ago.  This would not really be a problem except he keeps losing his lovie during the night and would wake crying meaning I'd have to go into his room to give it back to him.  Anyway, this issue is also solved now as I started attaching his lovie to his sleeping bag for the past 3 nights and he didn't wake up.  However, for these 3 mornings he has started waking up 2hrs before he is supposed to.  Today he woke at 7:15am and cried/whinged/screamed/shouted until 9:00am.  During this time I repeatedly went into his room to reassure him.  The hardest thing is my DH is not supportive in what I'm trying to do.  He wanted to continue being woken up during the night and giving the dummy but would complain about it but didn't want to do anything about it!!  He was not supportive throughout the whole dummy/prop thing and would forever tell me he thought what I was doing was cruel.  This made it very hard for me when I was weaning the dummy and I was forever asking myself if what I was doing was the right thing.  I can't do this anymore.  It's like I'm forever fighting both DH and DS on this sleep thing.  When will it end?  I sometimes feel that life would be so much easier if I just gave in and followed what my DH wants but deep down I know I have to 'teach' DS to become independent in his sleep.

If it helps, here is Aidan's routine.

9am wake and breakfast
11am milk
11:15-12:30 nap
1:30pm lunch
3:00pm milk
3:15-4:45 nap
6:30 tea
8:30pm bedtime routine
9:00pm milk then bed

Sorry to go on.  Just needed to get it off my chest.

Thanks for reading this far.

Ivy

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 11:17:24 am »
Ivy if he is sleeping 9-7am ish that actually isn't too bad if he is taking 2 x1.5 hour naps. he is pretty close to the 13-14 hours of sleep one would expect from a baby between 9 & 12mo.
Also most babies seem to be set closer to an evolutionary time so getting a baby to sleep past 5,6 or 7am can often be quiet difficult. From my perspectiveI would be saying try an earlier bed time & accept 7amish as doing well.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 14:52:13 pm »
I agree with Kate :)

You could get him up at 7, as long as he's getting decent nap time during the day, you're doing great. If you want to go for an earlier bedtime as well, you could try 8 pm instead of 9, or even 7:30. Do what's best for your family.

As for your DH, you need to go with your gut on this one. How often is he home? Does he work all day? Frankly, you should compromise with him. If he wakes at night, your DH should be the one to get up and take care of him. No complaining. If he wants to continue to do it that way, then he has no room to complain. Sorry that sounds cold, but he needs a bit of a reality check here. You can't be getting up several times a night forever...it'll start affecting your relationship with your DH.

Good luck, and I hope things get better with the wakings!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline i-wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 22:05:23 pm »
Thanks ladies.