Author Topic: my little girl night screaming  (Read 1108 times)

Offline tamar

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 29, 2005, 20:03:01 pm »
my little alex is 4 months old, and is a very sensitive baby, we got the book of tracy hogg one month ego and from that moment she is behaving a bit better, i understand her better, but there is still one thing that is still the same for the last 4 months of my life- alex can cry for almost one hour without stoping in her bed, in the arms, while i'm jumping or anything that we are doing before going to sleep, nothing is changing in that- when it's time to sleep she is crying... i'm on my knees, angry and desperate - can you please help me to solve this?

Offline rebecca-isabella mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
my little girl night screaming
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 11:39:46 am »
Hi there and welcome!

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time!! Could you give some more details?

What does your LO's rountine look like?

Does she have sufficient naps during the day?

It is just at night before bed time that she starts to cry?

Im not too sure but i think you are having the same problem i used to have with DD up until about 7wks old when i put her on Easy rountine.
My DD would gett overtired and overstimulated because she would never have naps during the day so when it came to bed time she was so tired that the only way she could sleep was to scream herself to sleep!!  :(

Now though she has 2x2 hr naps and one cat nap (30min-1hr) and we never have crying at bed time anymore. But if you give some more info we may be able to determine what the problem is exactly

Take care
Rebeccaxx

Mummy to Isabella Grace 22.05.05
Very very spirited/textbook

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 15:03:09 pm »
I agree with Rebecca.  Whenever I missed (and still miss) my DS's cues for naptime, he needed to cry in order to get himself to sleep.  It was the only way he could shut out the world and get to the point of sleeping.

In addition to the questions above, when do you start getting your lo ready for naptime?  What cues do you look for?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline tamar

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 17:24:59 pm »
Hi, thanks for your replyes.
Here we go with some more details, starting from the very beginning.

Alexandra was born in the 37 week. She was 2.385 and lost 300grams in the first days what made us to start feeding her every 1-2 hours.  After the birth she was diagnosed with a problem in both legs. The doctors told us it's something quite common for babies born early and/or with the cesareum. Because of this problem she had to wear a kind of plastic pillow between her legs until the 4th month, 24 hours a day. all that just to make clear that the start didn't gave us much of advantage... but she was a great baby till the 3th week...
She didn't seem to be very disturbed by this plastic thing, anyway... She didn't cry except for maybe the first day she was wearing it, and now that the doctor said she seems to be perfectly ok, we will have to put the plastic pillow only 12 hours a day for the next month and then never more. Honestly, we hoped that taking the pillow away in the night (she's still wearing it in the day) was going to help her to sleep better, but it doesn't seem to change that much.
Also the lack of weight is almost solved. Now she's almost 5 kilos, and as much as our doctor is always keeping her weight under control, she's developing very good. She's a very active baby, she's very friendly also with new people, she's smiling and playing a lot.

About her daily routine... she's usually waking up in the morning between 7.30 and 8.30. 99% of the time she's in a good mood during the morning, "chatting" with mommy a lot, playing, smiling...
She's having a first nap around 10, for one hour more or less.
Another nap, a longer one, after the lunch hour (around 1 pm till 3 or even 4 pm).
She's having 6 meals a day (eating quite normally). She's eating breast milk, and sometimes the artificial one (if she's with the grandparents, for example).
She's having a last nap around 5 or 6 pm, but usually a very short one (never more than one hour).

And here comes the difficult part...
For the first 2 or 3 months, Alex was usually starting to be very annoying around 8 pm, crying a lot, not enjoying any game, not getting in a better mood even if she was in the arms. We discovered one month ago that the only thing she wanted was to go to sleep, but at 8 pm the house was too much of an exciting place to sleep :-))
We're living in a 3 floors big house: we're at the ground floor in our own apartment, at the 1st floor there are the grandparents (age 50, Davide's parents.. Davide is Alex's father) and in the top floor there's a 3rd apartment (Davide's sister, Chiara, with the husband and a baby 2 month old that is sleeping ALWAYS and EVERYWHERE!!).
So... we were keeping Alex awake with the all of us, we're usually having a big dinner all together, and then spending the evening chatting, with some music or the tv, etc...

One month ago we were in a long vacation in Israel, then we started to put Alex to sleep in 8, 8.30 pm, after the suggestion of a relative. And it was working very, very good in the beginning. This, plus the night meal we were giving her around midnight, made her almost a perfect baby. Funny during the day, and very silent and good in the night. She was going to sleep in 8 pm, eating in 12 pm, then usually waking up around 7 (sometimes before, but not often).
We came back to Italy, around 10 days ago. Everything was supposed to be easier as we had our house, not a vacation house, and it was supposed to be easier also to keep her with the new routine. But it's not as easy...

She's usually starting to be in a bad mood - crying or moaning - around 7.30, 8 pm. We are then trying to put her to sleep but it's taking sometimes even one hour to make to fall asleep. She's totally in the need for sleep: she doesn't want to play and if she's staying awake she's getting more and more difficult. But as we got in to the bedroom, that is usually dark and quiet, she's starting to cry and scream.
More than this, she's waking up now 2-3 even 4 times at night! She can stay awake - screaming to the point that we are almost screaming to back - for an hour or more from 4 in the morning!

Any more details needed? Hope to hear from you soon, we need all the help that we can get!
Tamar and Davide.

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 21:00:03 pm »
What cues do you look for when you start to head to bed?  Do you have a wind-down routine?  You may be trying to put her to sleep when she's overtired.  The key is to head to bed before she's tired, maybe 20-30 minutes.  The room should be very dimly lit and do tihngs with her such as read a book (she won't understand it but if you show her the pictures and sing it to her she should enjoy it) or play soft music.  Maybe let her play with a soft toy that won't get her too excited or awake.  Then, the minute she shows signs of tiredness (rubbing her eyes or if her eyes are red all around, if she fusses, if she yawns... any of those) then start putting her to sleep.

Also, if there's a lot of stuff going on, maybe you should tone it down.  Make sure she's in another room and if you have something that makes white noise (even tuning a radio to a place that has no station or music) or maybe something that makes rain or water noises, use that to drown out any other noise.  This may really help!

That's just a suggestion.  Try it and see what happens.  Please let us know!
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna