Author Topic: 6 month old won't eat  (Read 872 times)

Offline thomas'smum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month old won't eat
« on: October 30, 2005, 00:58:15 am »
DS is 6 months old and I have been trying solids for 2 months now.  Everytime the spoon gets near his mouth he clamps it shut like he knows whats coming and doesn't want anything to do with it.  I have tried cereal and fruit and vegetables but it doesn't seem to make a difference what it is.  Should I be concerned?  Should I try every day or give him a few more weeks and try then?

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
6 month old won't eat
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 02:36:46 am »
have you had any feeding issues previously?

we had issues and were being advised by a speech patholigist when we started solids.

at first dd2 woudl not open her mouth and would turn away if a spoon came near her.  what we were advised and did was:
give your child a spoon of their own so they can play with it, try to put it in their own mouth etc (we find if dd2 has something in her hands - cup, spoon or bowl - she will open her mouth more often  :? )
keep the session really light hearted - no pressure
smile a lot and make yummy sounds, etc so they form positive associations
no battles so if they are refusing don't force the issue
if you can, try to eat food too if that will encourage them to try it - sometimes this seems less intimidating then just mommy shoving a spoon at them as they see you chewing, swallowing etc

good luck - we stil have ups and downs at 8 mo but at least 1 meal a day is good for us and now we are working on finger foods which are obviously going to be her preferece - i think some lo just don't llike to have things done TO them, they want to participate, etc
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified