Author Topic: how many oz BM for 3 mo old?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline GaliaF

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 30, 2005, 12:29:17 pm »
HI,
I am trying to do a yield today and see how much milk my david is getting.   Any idea how much from each breast about I should be producing for him (Assuming he is fed almost every 3 hrs?)?  He is 3 mo old tomorrow.
Thanks!
Galia

Offline frasersmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how many oz BM for 3 mo old?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 13:45:21 pm »
Not sure if it helps but i used to get 4 oz from each one when my baby was fully BF but if you're not used to expressing you might get a lot less than that. Sometimes i couldn't get the let down reflex with a pump so would latch my baby on to get things going. It never seemed like much milk though - especially when he might only feed from one side. The way to work to work it out would be your baby's weight times 2.5 (normally need 2.5 oz per lb of body weight of milk a day) divided by the number of feeds per day. If you only feed from one side then this would be the amount of milk you ideally need to produce or divided again by 2 if your baby has both sides. so a 10lb baby feeding 8 times a day would be 10(lbs) X2.5 (oz of milk) divided by 8 (feeds a day) = 4 (and a bit) oz per feed from one breast (4oz) or both (2oz each).
Of course this is only a guide and as long as they keep gaining weight steadly you have nothing to worry about - especailly when you might only get a oz or two at a time and are left wondering if your baby is surviving on fresh air!! Hope it helps x

Offline GaliaF

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 14:01:42 pm »
thanks so much, that really helps.  i got 3 oz from one breast today so i know i have enough, he just seems distracted lately while feeding and isn't feeding as long (and i don't think that much more efficiently either).
still, we are gaining for sure!  he's at least 13-14 lbs now.
thanks again!

Offline frasersmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 14:21:45 pm »
i have the same problem with my baby - even though he's on formula for all but one of his feeds. I read somewhere that they do become distracted at 3-4 months so i now have resorted to feeding him in his bedroom with the blind shut! good luck xx

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 16:37:48 pm »
My 11 week old DS is EBF- but gets bottles from daycare while I am work. Now my kid is huge....9 # 3.8 at birth. Last weight was 14# at 8 weeks and he takes 5-6 oz three times a day while I'm at work. I've never done a yield, but I usually pump 6-7 oz at 0900, 1200, and close to 10-11 oz in the early am and before bed. My DD (now three) never took more than 6 oz at one feeding in her entire life and she was EBF, her bottles were 4-6 oz from 6 weeks to 12 months. Same parents.
Jeni

annamum

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 17:15:36 pm »
Every baby is different and they may eat different amounts of milk per day. A norm is anything between 19 oz up to 32 oz per day, an average is 24 oz. As long as your baby is thriving, gaining weight, producing plenty wet and dirty diapers, all is well  :D.