Author Topic: What's more important - EASY or keeping 3hrs between feeds?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline gwc1023

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What's more important - EASY or keeping 3hrs between feeds?
« on: October 30, 2005, 14:40:57 pm »
Abby (3.5 mths) is our 2nd and is doing pretty good on sleep issues compared to her brother (probably some personality differences and some things we just didn't know the first time aorund!).  She is on about a 3hr EASY schedule, I never nurse her to sleep, but I am still a little confused about the 'right' thing to do when her nap is short and she won't resettle.

i.e. If she was up at 7:30 and I fed her, then she's down by 9 (very rarely can she go more than 1.5hrs).  If she wakes up after around 45 minutes, and I can't resettle her at all, so she's up at 10, should I feed her (which would be only 2.5hrs) to maintain EASY, or let her play until it's been 3hrs?? 

It seems like at around 4 months most are suggesting moving to a 4hr routine, I don't think she's ready for that yet, but she does seem able to go close to 3.5hrs at least some of the time.

Thanks for your help!!
Dawn mommy to Gavin (5/2/02), Abby (7/8/05), and Rachel (5/28/07)

Offline Mom2Ben

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 17:05:55 pm »
I don't have an answer for you, just wanted to tell you that I am in the same boat!  I never know what to do!?!   Feed him to keep the routine, or try to keep him up longer to eat on time, and then he is too tired because he can only stay up about 1 - 1.5 hours!
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Offline charismatic

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 17:29:50 pm »
There may be a great big ocean between us but I too wonder about this.  Samuel is 6 weeks old tomorrow and has been on easy since day 6.  He is currently cooing in his cot having only been asleep for 50 mins.  He E's for between 1/2 hr and 3/4 hr, stays up playing till he s ready for sleep after being up in total for 1 1/2 hrs.  (I can almost set the clock by him!).  He the wakes early but is smiles and isn't ready for food.  Sometimes we can get him back to sleep others he is just awake...

Is it OK to AEASY - AEASY a 6 week old??

Cheers
Charis

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 21:41:52 pm »
Let them play until it's feeding time :)

It's more important to keep the feeding time right. EASAE is fine. As long as you're not feeding to sleep, you're not creating any props.

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 22:01:45 pm »
I'm in the same boat - DD (3.5 months) is transitioning from 2.5 EASY to 3-3.5 EASYAEASYA... I asked the same question on another thread before and the answer was to sort out the feeding first, and then the naps.

I'm working on (at least) 3 hour EASY now, and after two days it seems to be slowly improving, so hang in there :D
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 22:19:37 pm »
Ditto to the above....
I have been keeping the feeds at the proper times and letting the A be on either side.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 22:48:51 pm »
i would definitely try to stick to the 3 hrs unless they are crying out of hunger asking for the food earlier.  don't offer it just because of the short nap, wait for hunger.  just don't feed to sleep.

re- 4 hr EASY - it does not happen at 4 months for many lo so just watch as your lo develops and as they stretch A time and E times you will get there.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified