Author Topic: 1 yo doesn't want milk anymore  (Read 2213 times)

Offline pluie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 yo doesn't want milk anymore
« on: October 30, 2005, 15:02:50 pm »
Starting from 10 mo, ds has shown less and less interest in both breastmilk and formula. Now he's on formula only, but I'm lucky if I can get 5 oz of formula into him in a day.

I tried various methods: cow's milk, soy milk, pediasure, cereal/oatmeal/cheerios with milk, spoon feeding... but he hates them all. Currently he drinks from a cup (with a straw). I do give him yogurt and cheese every day, but he starts to lose interest in yogurt, and never takes more than 3 tiny cubes of cheese. What else can I do?

I've seen lots of kids still drinking milk at 2 or 3 yo... but mine wants to stop at 1?? Am I the only one??

The worst thing is he's quite thin, his weight and height are all below the 3th percentile...  :(

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 19:06:54 pm »
Hi,

my dd went off milk as well at 1yr old, the only way i can get her to have calcium is cheese and yogurt or smoothies.

You seem to be doing everything right by offering him cheese and yoghurt, i would keep on with this.  You could try making fruit and milk smoothies and see if he drinks it this way...it worked with my DD i just blend some strawberries and milk together and she loves it, you can also try differant fruits and add in yoghurt as well..just a thought.

With regards to him being quite thin what has you health visitor or doctor said about this??

HTH  :D
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 23:08:12 pm »
alex was the same and at 18 mo was having 1 bottle before bed only but i wanted to stop those after Liv came along and tried to transition milk to a special cup (this was her only milk) and she woudl not do it. i decided o let it go rather than continue with bottles...

she will only drink water  - will ask for milk occassionally but only for the novelty - will only take 1 sip and then just carries it around...  :roll:

i just offer yogurt when i have it and make grilled cheese sandwiches and cheese on crackers.

for your lo since she is small i woudl focus on overall calories and ake sure you include the calcium items.  there are other foods that are non dairy that have calcium (ie broccoli which dd1 loves)  check into those foods and see if there are other things she will take

will she drink diluted calcium fortified juice?
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline pluie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 04:18:13 am »
Thanks for all your responses. My doctor thinks my ds is doing fine as my ds is very healthy and active. I guess I just feel uncomfortable that he's so small compared to kids at the same age.

Calcium fortified orange juice is the only calcium fortified juice I can find here. I let him try yesterday, he drank 50 ml of diluted juice. In fact, my ds is not much into juice either. He loves to drink water.

I guess he starts to hate yogurt... he protested when I fed him yogurt last nite, then he gagged and threw up some...  :?

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 04:33:52 am »
I have found some drinkable yogurt here in the US that Lindsey will drink.  Do you have it there?  That may be an option.   Is your ds on any vitamins?  Lindsey had her 1 year check up today and the doctor told me to stop giving her anything else to drink except milk.  No juice or water.  She said that if Lindsey is thirsty enough she will drink the milk.  I don't intend to do this but I guess if she really does "fill up" on juice or water then that may be keeping her from drinking milk.  Have you tried putting a little sweetener in his milk?  Like chocolate syrup.  Not a whole lot just enough to taste.  I don't know, just throwing out some ideas.   Lindsey is on a vitamin with vit d, a, c , and e and flouride so at least I know she does get some vit d.  Her doctor said that is why milk is important, vit d  and calcium but that cheese and yogurt don't have Vit d.  The drinkable yogurt does have Vit d in it though.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline pluie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 14:43:30 pm »
Lindsey's mom,

Thanks for your ideas! Drinkable yogurt is something I haven't thought of!! Thanks!! I will let my ds try tomorrow!! I bet it's quite sweet, right? Do you dilute it?

I haven't tried sweetener in milk... since he doesn't like pediasure (vanilla flavor) which is extremely sweet... so I figure he's not much into sweet stuff.

And yes, I've just started giving him multi-vitamins this week. I think I might have to give him some omega 3 capsules later on...

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 14:58:16 pm »
It is actually not too sweet, not to me anyway.  I have diluted it with water or just given it to her plain.    You also might could try the Ovaltine that you add to milk, it does have some vitamins in it as compared to just chocolate syrup.  It comes in a malt flavor too which he may like better.  I hope you can find something he will drink.   The drinkable yogurt I bought is by Dannon.  They have 90 calories, 3 g protein, 1.5 g fat, 25% dv of calcium, and 15% dv of vit d per 3 ounces.  It is Dannon Danimals drinkable yogurt with calcium and vit D.  It comes in vanilla, banana, and strawberry flavors that I have seen.  Hope he likes it.
Lynne

Offline pluie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 05:43:32 am »
Thanks Lindsey's Mom!! I have Ovaltine at home, but it has cocoa powder on the ingredient list... aren't kids supposed to refrain from chocolate before the age of 3?

That Danon drinkable yogurt sounds good. I'll see if I can find it here, thanks a lot!!

Offline newaussie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 07:32:18 am »
What about trying cereal with milk?  Oatmeal or Cornmeal porridge?  I make porridge every morning for my DD.  I actually use formula at the moment because I'm keeping her off milk for now.  What I also do is use any left over formula in making her cereal (I usually make it immediately after bottle feed).

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 13:34:52 pm »
Hello.  I think the chocolate issue is just up to you as a Mom.  I don't think it will hurt him if you want to try it but it is up to you.  I did ask Lindsey's pediatrician about adding a little bit of Chocolate or flavoring to the milk to see if it will help her to drink it and she said that was fine.  I think as long as you don't add too much of it it is ok.   Adding milk to oatmeal is a good idea too.  I mix Lindsey's oatmeal with milk.  You can also add a little milk to scrambled eggs.  With him being a year old now he should be ok with eggs unless you or your hubby has an allergy to eggs.
Lynne

Offline taylor

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 13:59:48 pm »
have u tried putting a powder milk shake through his milk i think its nesqik that does it i give it to my son and he loves it that way he is still taking some milk.

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 15:25:48 pm »
Hello, how is it going?  Just wanted to say we also have orange juice here in the US for kids that is vitamin fortified and calcium fortified so if he will not drink milk then maybe he will drink the OJ?  It is made by Minute Maid and is called Minute Maid Kids.  It has Vit a, b, c, d and e in it plus calcium.  It is like 35% dv of calcium and 25% dv of vit d per 8 ounces.  Hope he is doing better for you. :)
Lynne

Offline pluie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 06:07:38 am »
Thanks for all you guys' ideas!!

newaussie, my ds doesn't like cereal/oatmeal/cheerios with milk. I guess he really hates the smell of milk. I need to find something to mask it.

Lindsey's Mom,

Good news I'm giving him Tropicana calcium fortified orange juice, he seems to like it, although not as much as he does for water. Anyways, that's very good already. Thanks so much for your ideas!! But all yogurt drinks I can find here are low fat. I'm wondering if I should let him try anyway. And I haven't tried Ovaltine yet, but I tried Horlick in milk, he still hates it.  :(

Thanks taylor, I will try nesqik later.

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 13:39:46 pm »
The only other thing I can think of for the drinkable yogurt is to add a little bit of cream to it to add some fat to it.   I thought about doing that for Lindsey when she was not drinking any milk but she is doing a little better with it now thanks to the rich chocolate ovaltine.  She is still not crazy about it but she will drink it now.
Lynne