Author Topic: Waking up baby from sleep  (Read 814 times)

Offline eileen.jeff@earthlink.net

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://earthlink.net
Waking up baby from sleep
« on: October 30, 2005, 16:08:38 pm »
I've been wondering if/when I should wake my 2.5 week baby from sleep if it has taken her a while to get to sleep.   For example, often it takes her about 30 - 45 minutes to get to sleep including some shsh-pat.  Should the 1.5 - 2 hour sleep period start from when I put her in her crib or from when she actually goes to sleep?  I've been finding that I'm having to wake her up to eat about half of the time, because two hours have passed since I put her down, and I'm conscious if she gets too much sleep during the day she might not sleep well during the night (which she has been).  But then I want to make sure I'm not waking her up prematurely (if she's only actually been asleep for say one hour) and causing her to be overtired (and creating a vicious circle of making it even more difficult to get her to sleep the next time).  So my question is whether the two hour sleep period is a limit on the time she is down in the crib or the time she is actually asleep. 

Eileen

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Waking up baby from sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 16:42:40 pm »
The time she is actually asleep :)

Always wake her up for feedings as you have been...however, if she's had particularly rough naps, I might let her sleep an extra half hour over feeding time if she's actually sleeping well for one nap. But definately no more than that.

The three hour EASY includes 1 hour for feeding/playing (in your lo's case, feeding, diaper change then nap), and 2 hours for sleep (but if she wakes early, don't sweat it, play with her for a few minutes, then feed again, diaper change, then back to sleep).

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005