Author Topic: worried about supply...help  (Read 1278 times)

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 31, 2005, 01:50:25 am »
Right now I am feeding my daughter every 3 hours (she is 5 mos old) but she is still not ready for 4 hour EASY.

I thought I would try offering her both sides to see if she would eat more and then last longer.  I also thought it would help my supply by stimulating both sides sooner.  However it seems like I have less milk now??  Either that or my daughter seems to be drinking just the letdown and then wants the other side (which could be hurting my supply).  I think it was better when I fed on one side but if I go to 4 hour EASY I will be feeding on each side after 8 hours!  Isn't that going to hurt my supply?

Thank you.
Abigail born May 26, 2005

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
worried about supply...help
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 02:30:29 am »
I could not find where on the site they mention single vs double side feeding but hopefully this will help put your mind at ease a little.  I have always double side fed.  Your body is probably just adjusting to your baby feeding from both sides.  Just because your breasts do not feel full does not mean you don't have enough milk.  Check the link and there are lots of other good articles on the site too.  HTH.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 19:40:18 pm »
Whichever type of feeding you do, just pick one and stick with it. If you have been double-side, it is hard to go to or go back to single-side.

Not every baby is ready to go to 4hrly EASY. Listen to your baby, watch her hitting her milestones on time. You will realize you are doing what is best by her, not the book.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline kriswrite

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 01:50:46 am »
How long is your baby feeding on each breast? She should empty one breast before moving on to another, or she'll just be getting foremilk, which is the more watery part of your milk, and which isn't as nutritious. Also, this could lower your milk supply, because your breast aren't emptying. (Which could also lead to infection.)

Kristina
http://www.kristinaseleshanko.com/baby.htm

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 19:29:16 pm »
Well we went back to single-sided eating.  She took one feeding to adjust (kept coming off) but she is eating better now and getting the hindmilk instead of just the foremilk.  The last two nights she slept 7:30pm-6:30am!!!! I don't know what is up with that but I'll take it!!
Abigail born May 26, 2005