Author Topic: How do you know when they are full?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
How do you know when they are full?
« on: October 31, 2005, 02:13:52 am »
My 8 month old can eat forever!!!  I give him solids after his milk and he still will eat a lot!!  At first i thought maybe he wasn't getting enough milk because I couldn't see what was going in him.   So I've even pumped, given him 8 ounces before each meal for a day just so I can see how much milk is actually being consumed (at least 24 oz per day plus night time nursing) and then his solids.  He will often eat a whole LARGE jar of veggie or meat and then a small jar of fruit.  He would eat more if I let him.  I only stop him because I'm afraid he'll get a tummy ache.   He sleeps and naps very well so i don't know if i'm looking for a problem that isn't there.  He is at the 95th percentile for height and weight so I find reading solid food feeding guidelines not very helpful.  Even before I started him on solids (a little after five months) he would nurse sooo much so he's always had an appetite and he's always been at the 95th percentile even when just on breastmilk.      Do I stop feeding when he slows down with the mouth opening?    Do I feed until he won't open his mouth  (scared to try this as I fear he'd vomit before refusing to eat).  I asked my doctor and he said feed until he doesn't want anymore, and that he'll let me know......but isn't it possible that  he'd feed himslef until he got sick?  When he used to bf exclusively, he would ALWAYS spit up after every nursing because he ate soooo much!

Any thoughts would be sooo welcome.  Thanks!

Zelka

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 02:21:13 am »
Lindsey was/is the same way.  Babies are not supposed to overeat but I always thought the same way as you about Lindsey.  I was amazed at the food she could stuff into that little belly, still am.   Now that she is self feeding mainly what she eats is more controlled by her so I feel a little better.  I guess some babies just have more appetite than others.  Not sure what to tell you to do.  Sometimes I fed Lindsey til she did not want anymore and sometimes she only got a certain amount.  Sorry, not much help.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 18:10:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply Lynne!!  And your words were helpful because I'm glad to see that others feel this way too!  And, you've shown me that this will only last so long because he should be into finger foods soon (we've started somewhat already)  I guess I'll just be happy with the fact that he is a strong eater and not the opposite!

Thanks again,
Zelka

Offline M&M'sMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/thomastwinsicles/
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 18:08:45 pm »
Hi ladies,

I have the same thing going on with my girls, but I actually only give them a few tbsp of veggies/meat and follow it with a few tbsp of fruit after their 6 oz bottle because if I don't "ration" it ( so to speak) I find the girls aren't hungry again at their 4 hour mark.... if they aren't hungry then, they will not take enough bottle during the day. They actually cut out one whole bottle fedding by eating too much solids, then they woke at night for bottle??? Crazy kids. But if your Lo's are taking a good bottle feed at the 4 hour mark then I say too keep feeding them!!

jody
Maisie Lyn Caroline (angel)
March 19/05 6:16 am
Makaylee Lyn Jennifer (angel)
March 19/05 6:21 am