Author Topic: Bedtime routine?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Dollyplum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 31, 2005, 11:43:36 am »
I have started the EASY routine with our son this weekend after pouring over Tracy's wonderful book.  It works really well in the day and during the night!  I am really pleased and I am so proud of Cameron and he is only 3 weeks old, bless him.

The issue that I really hope you can help me with is as so...

He tends to settle down for a sleep about 5pm and we wake him up at about 7 to give a second feed (to tank him up). He takes his milk and enjoys a lovely warm bath with Daddy, we change him, put him in his PJ's. He’s nice and calm as we carry him in our room

THEN

All hell breaks loose!  He cries his little heart out and every time we calm him and put him down, he starts again.  He does so well in the day and during the night and comforts himself like a little solider!  But Bedtime is hell and has taken hours to settle him.  Admittedly it only took 1 hour last night but it breaks my heart to hear him. 

We have started to keep a log of the routine and we are wondering if the turn a round is too fast for him and he needs more activity time after his feed? It is only works out about 1/2 hour and I am thinking that he is saying to me " I have only just got up!"

I know its my first time on here but I would really appreciate any pointers?

Thank you Nikki & Cameron

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Bedtime routine?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 19:42:47 pm »
hi - can you post a sample schedule of your day?  that will help us make better suggestions for you...
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Bedtime routine?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 21:48:02 pm »
Usually a baby is not crabby if they need more activity time (he would be cooing if he wanted to keep playing).  Since he is only 3 weeks old I would venture to say that he may need less activity time.  Babies tend to get very tired by the end of the day and, where their activity time is 30 minutes during the day, it may need to be 15 minutes by bedtime.

Please post a sample routine of the day and maybe we can pinpoint the issue.  (I'm thinking it may be that bathtime is too late.)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Dollyplum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 17:16:50 pm »
Hiya,

Thanks for your responses! I have only been keeping a log for a few days so the results are pretty random at the moment?  There is definate pattern early evening where he seems to get a bit wound up!  :oops: Around 4pm(ish) he tends to want to fight sleep and break the routine of the EASY cycle every 2-3 hours which he keeps so nicely? We then have to fight to get him back on track. 

I will try out the earlier bath at 6pm to see if that helps, which gives him a little activity time unless he falls back to sleep (I hope!)

Any suggestions are welcome.

Congratulations on your pregnancy Georgia!

Thanks Nikki