Author Topic: How do i get DS to go for longer without a feed?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline wannabe+

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How do i get DS to go for longer without a feed?
« on: October 31, 2005, 14:04:55 pm »
My DS is 9 weeks old and i was hoping by now that he would have gone for longer before needing a feed.  He feeds every 2 hours during the day.  At night i cannot complain as he starts the evening off with about a 5 hour interval between his 7pm feed and the next one but then goes back to 2 hours.  Will it get better or is there something i can do to help him along?

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 16:04:46 pm »
I think that is normal for a baby that young.  Every baby is different.  Some can go longer right from the start and have to be woken to eat.  Others demand to eat more frequently.  My daughter didn't start going 3 hours until 3 months and at 5 months she still wants to eat every 3 hours.  Some babies have bigger tummies also and can hold more at a time or some babies have reflux and need to eat more often.  My daughter would also do a longer stretch at the beginning and then every 2 after that.  She started to stretch out her night feeds when she stretched out her day feeds naturally.  If your baby is eating well every 2 hours I say go with it but if he starts snacking then try slowly stretching it out to 2.5 hours.
Abigail born May 26, 2005

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 19:48:22 pm »
Time between feeds usually correlates with length of awake time and naps. When he is ready to stay up a bit longer, and sleep a bit longer, then he will not eat every 2 hrs.

My ds ate 2hrly until 3.5-4 months, then 2.5-3 hrly until he was 8 months old. He was a big baby, slept well at night.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 23:15:15 pm »
My dd wasn't able to go longer than 2.5-3 hours between her feeds till she was almost 5 months old. It depends very much on a baby and also on mom's breast capacity. It has nothing to do, though, with a size of your breast. Almost all women (I think only 1 percent of women are truly unable to breastfeed, contrary to what most of us think) produce an adequate amount of milk for their little one but some produce less at a time of a feeding and thus baby needs to feed more often. But, within a 24 hour period each baby gets a similar amount of breastmilk in total.

Hang in there, the time flies and soon you will notice that he is able to go longer between his feeds.