Author Topic: Back to breast?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline nzvampy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 01, 2005, 02:05:06 am »
Hi, my month old son was born prematurely and, due to a variety of problems, had to be "comped" with formula from a bottle because he was losing too much weight. Since meeting the bottle he has been remarkably uninterested in the breast. He takes a short morning feed from the breast but otherwise screams if offered the breast instead of the bottle. I don't know how to get him back onto the breast without creating in him an aversion for the breast (because he gets very worked up if I persevere with trying to get him on the breast) or associate me with stressful feeds (my husband shares in the bottle feeds). Naturally because he is not nursing my supply has decreased (despite expressing) so I expect he finds that frustrating too. Any thoughts gratefully received.

nzvampy

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Back to breast?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 02:22:29 am »
Since he is still so young, you should have great success in this! I highly recommend a visit with a certified lactation consultant. They can recommend ways for you to increase your supply. Obviously the more nursing you do, the better your supply becomes. But pumping after feeds and for the bottle feeds (with a high grade hospital quality electric pump) will also help increase it.

Another idea is to use a supplemental nursing system (SNS). It is a tube you tape to your nipple that will excrete expressed milk or formula while your baby sucks at your nipple. More breast stimulation for you and less frustration for baby!

The less bottles (and formula) you give, the better your supply will get. I wouldn't expect overnight results, but if you work with a lactation consultant, you will reach your goal of more breast faster. Good luck!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

Back to breast?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 00:57:15 am »
I agree with GraceKellysmom, get a lactation consultant.

You can also try to offer your breast when your baby is sleepy or asleep, kind of a dreamfeed. They tend to be relaxed when they are sleepy and will take a breast then. The key to succeed is to find a moment when he is in a light sleep phase, that means when he starts to stir, move his arms, before he enters a deeps sleep. The same goes for naps. If he would accept your breast in that circumstances, he may eventually accept it when he is awake.

Pump in meantime, offer as few bottles as possible and get things going asap, the sooner the better. When you offer a bottle, make sure the teat is not a fast one, that may be one of the reasons he prefers it over you, the fast flow.

Good luck!