Author Topic: Allergy already?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Allergy already?
« on: November 01, 2005, 02:42:20 am »
Does this sound like an allergy?  DD has eczema, and it flares up for no particular reason, but she seems to have very sensitive skin.  Anyway, we have introduced rice cereal last week.  She doesn't really like it, but no problem.  Last night we introduced banana, and I gave it to her again today.  She loves it.  But she's got this rash, and I'm not sure if it was already developing prior to the banana or if the banana could be the cause.  It's not painful, it looks like baby acne, and it's around her mouth, on her tummy, legs and feet.  It's not bright red, but it is red, and does not appear to bother her at all.  She is eating fine and no other complaints.  Could this be an allergy to banana, or do you think she's just got really sensitive skin and this is just part of it?  She's had a few rashes in the past, but with solid foods I don't want to take any chances.  Can they really be allergic to banana?  I thought it was nature's perfect food.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Allergy already?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 02:49:45 am »
I'd stop giving it to her, until the rash clears then introduce it again & if it comes back you know the answer.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Allergy already?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 03:20:32 am »
Great, first food she likes and I have to stop giving it to her.  Crap. :D

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
Allergy already?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 03:22:39 am »
I just read an article about allergies and it said babies that have excema are more prone to have other food allergies.  Not sure why, but it stuck with me.  I'd quit the nanners for now and talk to her ped.
Good luck!
Kate,

Offline Xavier and Erica's mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • learn about Xavier's Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
Allergy already?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 03:51:36 am »
Xavier was allergic to apples and bananas until about 1 year of age...same type of symptoms, not a severe allergy, just a sensitivity that went away.  I would stop them for now, get the rash under control and than try bananas in a month or so.  Good luck!
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Allergy already?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 14:44:31 pm »
Yeah, I'm going to take a look at her this morning and see what's happening.  Then I guess I will add some apple prune juice to the cereal to get her to eat it until I can introduce another food.  Should I wait on introducing any other foods until this rash clears up completely?

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Allergy already?
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 19:38:07 pm »
The rash could be the beginnings of eczema too. That's how Liv's eczema started. My health visitor said it was baby acne but as it got worse and a doc saw it he confirmed it was eczema.

Banana can be a common trigger - can also be linked with reactions to kiwi and avacado so just keep an eye when you try those foods too.

hth
Sara

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Allergy already?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 19:50:10 pm »
Juice can make the diaper rash worse, just a heads up. Can you put breast milk or formula in it? Or a little applesauce if she likes that?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Allergy already?
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 22:37:19 pm »
I didn't know that about juice.  She does have eczema, and has had a flare up last week.  Seems to be going away now, but I suspect that's what is going on with her face.  As for adding applesauce to the cereal, problem is, I haven't introduced it yet.  Bananas was the first fruit I introduced after rice cereal.  If I put applesauce in the rice now, I won't know if it also causes a rash cuz she's already got one.  Argh.  I'm only using about 1 tbs. of juice and the rest formula anyway.  Plus she only eats maybe 1 1/2 tsp. of the whole mixture, so she's not getting too much.  At the moment though, no diaper rash thank goodness.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Allergy already?
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 17:45:19 pm »
I talked to the doctor and of course they agreed to quit the bananas for now.  Here's something that I thought of that I wanted to ask you guys.  About 2 months ago, DD was having a bit of constipation.  We were on vacation at the time and called her doctor.  They said to give her 2-3 oz of apple prune juice, which we did.  I didn't remember until late yesterday, but I have seen this type of rash before.  Rachel broke out with it sometime after we introduced this juice.  I never thought about an allergy, and since the rash was so light colored and didn't bother her, we didn't do anything about it.  Since then, I have only given her diluted white grape juice occasionally, figuring that's gotta taste better than yucky prunes.  And she's had no problems with it.  But yesterday morning, I mixed her cereal with apple prune juice instead of the bananas figuring that would make it more palatable.  She did eat it.  But then by the afternoon I had thought about this possibly causing the allergy and switched to white grape last night.  The rash is much better today.  Do you think she could be allergic to the apple/prune juice and not the bananas?  If so, does that mean she's allergic to apples?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Allergy already?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 19:21:16 pm »
I would cut everything and let it clear up. Then offer one thing at a time: apples, bananas, prunes. Wait at least 3 days in between.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies