Author Topic: The answer to my prayers!  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
The answer to my prayers!
« on: November 01, 2005, 07:47:41 am »
My son had huge issues sleeping both day and night. I didnt know what to do, I was at my wits end! I started reading the book The happiest baby on the block and ordered the miracle blanket simply out of desparation.

The two items were the answer to my prayers. I just got them last night. My son slept from 10:30 pm to 6:30 am and has taken several naps with little help. No joke, it is a miracle! Honestly, I thought the blanket and  the techniques in the book would be overrated, but they work wonders. At first he squirmed at bit, but now he LOOOOOVES that blanket!  I think every mother should get one at the hospital. If you are having problems in the sleep area you have got to at least try it.

Offline Mommyslc4

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 08:08:42 am »
Hi ... So glad to see you found an answer to your prayers.  My daughter's much older now, but I bought the Miracle Blanket too--and it's a great swaddling tool (makes it very easy).

I also read Happiest Baby on the block--and found some sound advice there.  But, just thought I'd throw out this warning because we later had to go back and fix some problems it created for us.  It suggests that parents swing/bounce their baby (among other things) to soothe to sleep. Swinging/bouncing DOES work. The problem for us was, it created a sleep assocation for my daughter which was very hard for us to later to break.  My daughter soon HAD to be swung, bounced or driven around in the car in order to get to sleep every time she ever slept!! 

I later found Tracy's book--which also supports the premise that children under 3months can't concentrate on more than 3 things at once (a fact of brain development cited in Happiest Baby on the Block, and which underlies the "4 S's" method).  But, Tracy goes a little further by suggesting types of stimulation (other "S"s, if you will) that will not become a sleep association which must later be fixed.

Just my 2 cents.

:wink:

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 23:01:23 pm »
I read Tracy's book first, and I had the same concerns about the rocking. I tried the patting, but it doesn't seem to be as effective as the vigorous rocking. I have been trying to pair the 2 and then plan to gradually let go of the rocking and then the patting. Or will it be too late? Do you have any suggestions? The last thing I want to do is fall into the accidental parenting. This is the most sleep he has had since week 2. I hate to ruin a great thing :)

Offline Mommyslc4

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 04:48:21 am »
Hi ..

Yeah ... I wouldn't want to ruin a good thing either.  You're the mom.  And, every baby is different.  Some babies can probably be swung to sleep and not develop a habit.  And even if a habit ensued, I personally believe there comes a point where if the baby's reeeeaally sleep deprived--you've just got to get her/him to sleep, at all costs.  I also think that if/when other factors are present (colic/reflux)--there's a different set of rules because the baby is in pain.

Tracy's and Mr. Karp's approach are based on the same brain research.  They just emerged with slightly different methods.  It seems to me they really only depart from each other on 2 points:
1)Tracy replaces the 'S'winging with 'P'atting; And,
2)I think Tracy seems to differentiate between what you do to "calm" the baby--versus what you do to put it to sleep.  For example, she absolutely advocates sucking/pacifiers for calming (whilst also swaddling, white noise ...).  But, Tracy would probably advise mom's to remove the paci before the baby falls asleep.  Because you can end up with babies that cry every 30-40 minutes to have someone come replace the pacifier. 

But those tendencies to develop habits are unique for every child.  And some can fall asleep with a paci--and not need it to be later replaced to advance through sleep cycles.

My gathering from Tracy's writing is that the reason the patting isn't enough for some (not necessarily you) is that it's supposed to be more firm, and rhythmic than some apply it.  I think when it's done they way she would do it--it can directly replace the swinging 'S' Karp recommends in HBOTB (Happiest Baby On th...).  However, again, not every child will become reliant on swinging to get to sleep anyway.

Really, I'm just glad you found something that's getting your LO some good sleep.  It must be such a relief.  And, sleep--and this age--is SOOOOoooo important (for the baby and the entire household).

Good luck!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 05:03:48 am »
yes I have to say no 2 babies are the same.
My ds#1 needed a routine to be stuck to to the letter & if you hicupped at the wrong time, you would get night waking (still do at age 2)... but ds#2 well he can be fed to sleep, paci... sleep in the car be awake 4 hours (5mo) & still do a good night's sleep & given the chance will fall asleep independently.

The key is that you work with your lo & their nature.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05