Author Topic: Newbie with questions...  (Read 889 times)

Offline Raquelita

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 01, 2005, 14:15:31 pm »
Hello!!  This is my first post and I will admit that I haven't read the whole book just yet (got it late last night and I read the sleep chapter and how to change bad habits).  I do plan on reading the rest of it I just had to ask a question about transitioning to the crib with a 4 month old.  A little background...
This is my 4th child so I am no novice but I have always had a hard time finding the middle ground between the getting them to sleep themselves and crying it out.  I have always nursed my babies at night in bed and then put them back in their cradle.  My DD, Bella, who just turned 4 months old never lets me put her in her cradle and since I am tired, I have just brought her back to bed.  She is also a bad sleeper during the day, barely ever sleeping longer than half an hour.  It has gotten to the point that I have just laid on the bed to nurse her to sleep for naptime as well  (about evey 2 hours for every feeding).  I have realized that this isn't the way I should be doing it, but until I was sure how to proceed to break these habits, I prefered this to letting her "cry it out". 
So, now, I am excited about implementing these techniques (as well as scared that she isn't going to cooperate).  So, instead of being an all night buffet for my precious DD (as has been the case the past few nights), I used the pacifier to help her get back to sleep until I fed her at 5:30 am.  Let's just say I was full and in PAIN. 
So, when I did this, I had her in my bed because I was exhausted from the previous nights' escapades, it was easier for both of us.  I am just curious if I should move her directly to her cradle or crib for naptime or get her used to going to sleep on her own in a familiar environment.  She has never slept in her crib since I have a cradle in my room for her and her crib is in her sister's room.  She has never liked her cradle.  So, I am trying to figure out where to help her learn to fall asleep.  I do know that she is going to need to move out of her cradle in a couple of months (and DH and I need our bed back).
As I read the account of the 8 month old in the sleep chapter who had to be worked with just to be comfortable with his crib, I thought it was a good point to take it step by step, but I didn't understand how they did it while he was still scared of his crib.  Would you just spend time acclimating them to it, but get them to sleep the way they were used to until they were ready to go into the crib or what?
Sorry for the lengthy post.  I just hope to read more and begin implementing this ASAP.
THANKS!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Newbie with questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 19:25:27 pm »
hi!  welcome to the boards!   :D

i love the idea of taking things step by step too.  sometimes when there are lots of issues it helps to break them down one at a time.

i think the biggest issue is the feeding to sleep - and is often the hardest to break, so it's usually a good one to start with, as you have done.  once you have done that, it's time to start the process of teaching her to self-soothe.

i'm not sure if you're referencing the 1st or the 3rd book, but from the story i read in the 1st book it was my impression that they were acclimating him to the crib during the day, but he was still sleeping with his parents at night.  once he could take a nap in his crib, they started putting him in there at night as well.

if she's never been big on sleeping in the cradle, i'd skip it & go straight to the crib.  she's going to end up there anyway, so that means one less transition for you.  my 2 cents on that!  :wink:

while you're working on the not feeding to sleep, you can also have her play in her crib a little bit each day, to get her used to the place.  the key is to take her out before she starts to cry - even if that means she's only in there for a minute.  over time she will stay longer & longer, and once she's used to it, it'll be easier to convince her to sleep in there.

here are a link to tracy's sleep interview - there are lots of techniques you can use to help teach your lo to self soothe:
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/a-special-sleep-interview-with-tracy-hogg-vt451.html

good luck, & HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy